Are you proud of yourself? | INFJ Forum

Are you proud of yourself?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Over the years, it was always thought it was flattering when someone said, "I'm proud of you." It was nice but as we get older, I wonder if those words have the same meaning.

Are you proud of yourself? Why or why not?

When someone tells you they are proud of you as a person or proud of your accomplishments, how does it make you feel?

Reactions: Bird
I'm proud of myself (for many reasons), but I am uncomfortable when I hear it from others. Ironically, I adore complimenting people ... life is too short for their good works or positive barrier breakdowns to go unnoticed.

Reactions: Gaze
It depends upon whether I think it was difficult for me or not.

An example would be when I took the GRE at age 52 and scored fairly high (according to the director). Sheesh - just passing it was for me an outstanding achievement for I was mighty scared of failing. So when some told me they were proud for me - I heartily agreed.

I have been told I do not celebrate my achievements - meaning I do not acknowledge my hard work and effort. I do not bask in the glow of my ability to transform myself (my mind for example). So these days - when someone remarks on my efforts - I appreciate the chance for myself to reflect on me.

If it didn't take much effort on my part - or - was the results of others efforts on my behalf - then I feel uncomfortable.

I think there is a fine line between being Prideful and genuinely feeling joy at one's accomplishments. It's the latter I try to strive for.

Reactions: Gaze and invisible
No, not so far. I've only managed to sap resources up until now without giving anything back.

I don't think the compliment changes much with age, and I think it's a very envigorating feeling. Take for instance when a father tells his son he's proud of something he did. Some boys carry that with them for years knowing that they were able to do something which made him feel like he was "worth it." The opposite of pride is dissapointment, and I think of it more as a feeling of competency and worth than most anything else.

But am I proud of myself? Yes and no. There are many way in which I feel I've lived up to my worth in life and many ways in which I feel I haven't. I had somewhat of a rough time when I was younger which led me into many personal disappointments, but I'd say most if not all of those wrongs I have done have been righted. Therefore, I'm proud of my ability to have done that at my age, but simultaneously there is much more for me to do besides accomplishing finding a path. Now I have to accomplish trailblazing it to take pride in my life overall. Therefore I'd say pride is very much like self esteem.

Missed this.
When someone tells you they are proud of you as a person or proud of your accomplishments, how does it make you feel?

I feel like they have no idea what they're talking about, and I'm usually right.

I'm more on @K-gal's wavelength; I prefer to be happy for myself that I did something "right", accomplished something.

For me, it's staying ahead of myself in College, credit-wise, so I don't feel the need to rush and overload myself with classes.
It gives me more time for myself, to channel my inner peace.

I am also grateful for being able to meditate anywhere at anytime now.

Reactions: Kgal
No, I'm content.

My successes are due to hard work and good luck. My failures are due to insufficient work and bad luck. Thus, both my successes and failures are facts. They are what they are--nothing of which to be proud or ashamed.

I wonder if there are differing kinds of pride. Like I have the kind of pride that wont accept defeat and wont let other people put me in my place, but that is different then feeling proud of an accomplishment, which I dont, I see pride in things like that as needless self back patting and find it annoying. When it comes to things I have done and can do well I dont feel that taking a prideful stance is optimal because it seems almost like its stopping me short of the continuation of perfecting what I try to do. Nothing is ever complete and as such an accomplishment is really just a benchmark, I look on those benchmarks with a mixed bag of feelings, partially with satisfaction and relief that its as far as it is, but also discontent that it either took as long as it did, or it could be better.

The only time I ever feel proud of myself is when I step outside my comfort zone and do something new or exciting that I would have never considered before due to fear. But even then, it's not really pride. I just feel awesome. I'll say I am proud of myself over silly little things like not procrastinating or something, but it's mostly in jest.

I don't think my parents have ever said they were proud of me. Usually when people say they are proud of me I interpret it as "we are so happy you met our expectations and did exactly what you were supposed to do." I distance myself from it.

I am proud of myself. Over the past year I've made a lot
of positive changes. I am way less passive aggressive and
I'm also being more assertive. I'm also trying to improve
my relationships with others and am taking steps to learn
how to have proper interpersonal relationships. I am taking
many steps towards improving my emotional well-being.
I've decided to try taking a natural alternative to the medications
I'm supposed to take instead of just shirking all medication.
I've essentially stopped smoking pot, for the most part and
am working on my studies as well. I'm starting to come into
myself and am happy today though the little things in life still
bother me and I can't seem to stop being such an intense J
in some ways. Though I'm trying to be more easy-going and
less uptight and structured. I'm learning to be adaptable.
Self-improvement is time consuming and difficult and something
that I feel one can really be proud of. Doing the best for yourself
in order to help humanity is something we all should do.

When someone tells me they are proud of me it makes me
feel self-conscious. It also evokes other feelings depending
on the person who made the statement and the way it was
expressed. Yesterday a man I've known for awhile was telling
me that he is proud of me because over the past six months
or so I've made vast improvements. You all not knowing me on
a personal level or caring would not know this. I've made strides
with my condition and am admitting I have problems and living
with them instead of stagnating myself and becoming comatose
which has been my previous way of dealing with things. I also like
the support, it's good to know that if something doesn't go quite
right I have a guiding force to turn to for aide and healing.

I just might be getting comfortable being me and maybe even with those who share with me my worst qualities. I suppose I can be proud of that.

Reactions: grt$5vb and Gaze
i want to eliminate pride from my self, but i can never succeed.

THIS.

When someone I love and respect says they are proud of me, it makes me feel all warm & bashful. :)

Proud? Not while there is more yet to do.
Satisfied? Perhaps.

When someone tells me they are proud of me, I believe they mean happiness at my reaching their expectations instead of reaching my own. Same principle as birthday parties.

Not really. I tend to focus on what I have yet to achieve, rather than my accomplishments.
Check something off a list, move onto the next thing.

I feel embarrassed, like I haven't really earned it, and I think they don't know wtf they're talking about.
Or, depending on the person who says it, I may feel like they're using flattery as manipulation. Meh.

Reactions: Kgal
I don't think I'm either proud or ashamed of myself. It seems like an over-investment of attention in something I'm too familiar with.

When others tell me that they are proud of me, it only means something if I look up to them. Otherwise, it just annoys me as pretentiousness.

When my father would tell me that he was proud of me, it was worth its weight in gold. In fact, if anything, I am proud that my father was and, to the best of my knowledge, is still proud of me.

Reactions: Barnabas

pride
Noun: A feeling of pleasure from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.

Verb: Be especially proud of a particular quality or skill

Depends entirely on the skill/achievement.

Hm. 1. They cannot be an authority on my worth as a person, therefore their being proud of me means zip.
2. Being proud of my achievements is slightly different. If I respect their opinion, I'd be happy with it. Although it also creates the uneasy feeling of needing to meet the same standard again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barnabas