Are you good with practical things? | INFJ Forum

Are you good with practical things?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
Do you find that it's easier or harder for you to notice, focus on, or handle everyday practical tasks or responsibilities? Or are you the kind of person who find it's easier to focus on the social or the emotional?

How do you balance them? What strategies have you found which worked or didn't work so well when you focus on practical things vs. other aspects?

I do okay with these, but barely and only out of necessity. I keep my life fairly simple to minimize the minutia I have to deal with. In these conditions, I keep up. At the same time, I wonder at those who work very hard manipulate all factors....not sure if they are really living the good life. For me it is simply a matter of maintaining a balance.

Reactions: Gaze
Do you find that it's easier or harder for you to notice, focus on, or handle everyday practical tasks or responsibilities? Or are you the kind of person who find it's easier to focus on the social or the emotional?

How do you balance them? What strategies have you found which worked or didn't work so well when you focus on practical things vs. other aspects?
Definitely the second kind of person.

I usually...have no idea, really. I mean, I know I did something, but I don't know what. /omg

I am really good at doing practical things. Whether or not I care to do them makes no difference. Being a Type 1 perfectionist means that I am always super motivated to do the best job and make sure that I get everything taken care of. I am super responsible for the most part. I will tend to let things lag or not do stuff deliberately--this is how I am passive-aggressive toward people who piss me off. I can handle mutiple things going on at work and in my personal life. In some ways, I enjoy being insanely busy but hate the interpersonal communication being really busy requires at work. I wish I could just communicate via email and not have to deal with people directly sometimes.

Strategies:
Organize. Organize. Organize. Make a list. Have a reasonable time frame in mind for how long tasks take. Do stuff in a practical order. Wait until you have multiple things to drop off rather than take several trips. Think things thru and have a plan of action. Figure out what is most important not what takes the least amount or most amount of time and do those things first--regardless of time factor. Get what needs to get done first. It means being able to prioritize.

Last edited:
I kind of balance both practical and social, but I put more priority on practical because when the practical remains unfinished, it also feeds in negatively into the emotional.

I am really good at doing practical things. Whether or not I care to do them makes no difference. Being a Type 1 perfectionist means that I am always super motivated to do the best job and make sure that I get everything taken care of. I am super responsible for the most part. I will tend to let things lag or not do stuff deliberately--this is how I am passive-aggressive toward people who piss me off. I can handle mutiple things going on at work and in my personal life. In some ways, I enjoy being insanely busy but hate the interpersonal communication being really busy requires at work. I wish I could just communicate via email and not have to deal with people directly sometimes.

Strategies:
Organize. Organize. Organize. Make a list. Have a resonable time frame in mind for how long tasks take. Do stuff in a practical order. Wait until you have multiple things to drop off rather than take several trips. Think things thru and have a plan of action. Figure out what is most important not what takes the least amount or most amount of time and do those things first--regardless of time factor. Get what needs to get done first. It means being able to prioritize.

Good stuff.

Yep, I too have a very practical streak: it likes lists and minds deadlines for me ;) ...which is good because my artist side is very childlike and not into these things.