"a respectable amount of screaming"
Jun 21, 2012
Right behind you...
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
N
http://literallyunbelievable.org/

So I came across the above link and my first reaction was laughing until I almost choked. However, when I think about the stupidity displayed on that site, it damages the already tarnished faith I have in humanity.

Some, I believe are just playing along with the joke, but there's a sizeable amount who really believe such obviously farcical stories.

That's it...if people are really this devoid of intelligence, I'm going to have to cancel my plans for world domination. It's just not worth it.

yes some really are that stupid. i know several personally unfortunately

It's unbelievable isn't it?
I am constantly amazed at what some believe to be true stories on Facebook. They are so gullible.
Such as the fake intellectual property notice people are instructed to re-post on their wall.
Even weeks or months after it was exposed as a hoax, someone will post it, and in the comments you will see people posting "Done!"
Even after others have said it's BS.
Or the quotes supposedly from celebrities such as Morgan Freeman.

The scariest part is the fact that these people vote in our elections. It's no wonder the US is so fucked up and dysfunctional.

Despair, not. It seems a handful of those people think The Onion is a reputable news-source.
The rest? I'm not sure. We all have our weak spots and tragic moments.

I'll admit that it did take me a few seconds to realize it was all bs, haha. After scrolling down and seeing the grammar story, it became very clear. The only time I'd heard of the onion was from watching Family Guy.

I worry about humanity all the time, but for different reasons. We are all doomed...

People have believed stupid things for a very long time. It's just that now more of them are learning how to turn on a computer, and phones with internet access make this even easier.

Many people seriously do lack critical thinking skills, and the scary part is that many also believe that they don't lack them.

People have believed stupid things for a very long time. It's just that now more of them are learning how to turn on a computer, and phones with internet access make this even easier.

Many people seriously do lack critical thinking skills, and the scary part is that many also believe that they don't lack them.

Yeah, this. There are a lot of people in the world who, unfortunately, have no idea about their own weaknesses, especially in regards to logical reasoning.

The beauty of The Onion is that it is written in a very literal sense. I guess I can see how those that aren't familiar with it could initially take it at face value.
Very similar to National Lampoon magazine I used to read.

I am reminded of Orson Welles and his 1938 radio broadcast of War of the Worlds.
Many listeners believed what they were hearing was actually happening, and went into a panic over it.

http://literallyunbelievable.org/

So I came across the above link and my first reaction was laughing until I almost choked. However, when I think about the stupidity displayed on that site, it damages the already tarnished faith I have in humanity.

Some, I believe are just playing along with the joke, but there's a sizeable amount who really believe such obviously farcical stories.

That's it...if people are really this devoid of intelligence, I'm going to have to cancel my plans for world domination. It's just not worth it.

Jokes on you, the things on that site are literally unbelievable. So you are getting upset over things you don't believe.

I think it's pretty easy to judge people for this kind of thing... but given the content of some of the so-called legitimate 'news' outlets, it doesn't surprise me that some people think that these are real.

Jokes on you, the things on that site are literally unbelievable. So you are getting upset over things you don't believe.

I don't believe in a god but I get annoyed when I see people using it as an excuse for their own ignorance.

I don't believe in a god but I get annoyed when I see people using it as an excuse for their own ignorance.

How does this relate to anything?

How does this relate to anything?

You said I'm getting upset over things I don't believe. And I'm suggesting, while the things on the site may not be real, people's reactions to it are.

...I am reminded of Orson Welles and his 1938 radio broadcast of War of the Worlds.
Many listeners believed what they were hearing was actually happening, and went into a panic over it.

In the small town where my mother grew up, some guys decided to shave a monkey (an actual monkey of some kind), kill it, and present it to the public as a dead alien they had found. Many people believed it was an actual alien and went into an absolute panic, including my mother, who was a child at the time and remembers being terrified that we were being invaded by martians. Then when it was discovered what actually happened, my mother just felt very sorry for the monkey, and I'm pretty sure several people in the town may tried to lynch the perpertrators. (Well, at least the perpertrators got put in jail anyway, don't ask me what the charge was. Shaving a monkey or something.)

Which just goes to show playing tricks on ignorant mobs for amusement may not be the best idea anyone's ever had.

But still. The Onion? It comes out and says it is not true. You would think people would notice that.

Reactions: acd
Speaking of stupid-- this is a letter written by an actual US senator.

20130303-125507.jpg

Three guesses as to whether he's a Democrat or Republican.

I don't think this is stupid per se. More like naive, gullible, and ignorant. The Onion is presented as a reputable news source, so if someone skimmed an article and hadn't heard about The Onion before or had ever known that such joke news sites existed, it's not unreasonable that they wouldn't be able to figure it out. I've seen much stupider. This is really just tame in comparison.

I guess people have a propensity for believing what they read. I used to have that as well until I got burned by it a couple times.

You said I'm getting upset over things I don't believe. And I'm suggesting, while the things on the site may not be real, people's reactions to it are.

Man thats where you went wrong, you can literally not believe anything on that site.

Man thats where you went wrong, you can literally not believe anything on that site.

Yeah, I kinda realised you were joking. Well I guess we're all stupid in our own ways, blah blah blah, moral of day, you live you learn, etc etc.