Applying.. | INFJ Forum

Applying..

Sep 20, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I just can't believe how fast this year is creeping in on me. I'm at the point where I need to start applying to various colleges / universities. I am a bit paranoid, because everything is so competitive now a days. I have a 3.2 Unweighted GPA and a 4.4 Weighted GPA, not to mention I am not happy with SAT scores. I am just worried I might not be accepted anywhere..

There's a lot of pressure. I still want to major in Chemistry and that area still looks very competitive. Any of you also applying this year? For those who apply, how hard is it really to get in this days?

I am getting a bit paranoid due to the responses I been seeing online from similar questions.

Ahhh College Apps!
My Ap Lit teacher assigned us a college portfolio project where we had to:
-Apply to three colleges minimum
-Apply for at least two scholarships
-include a copy of our application essays
-our resumes
-any letters of recommendation.

This helped me stay on track very well.
When writing the essays, have someone proof read them and DON'T go over the word limit. For the recommendation letters, since you want to pursue chemistry. Have your Chem/AP chem teacher write one of them, and have a teacher that you like that teaches a non-science class write the other one; this will show that you are well-rounded.

Register for the Nov SAT if you are unsatisfied with your scores. And take the ACT if you haven't yet.

Don't Procrastinate on any part of the application, especially the letters. It's common courtesy to give your teacher a copy of your resume and a 2 week warning if you ask them to write a recommendation for you, and don't forget to write them a thank you note afterwards.

And Wow a 4.4! That's awesome :)

Have you taken any SAT subject tests?

I also had to write essays during my Junior year, but I am not sure if they are enough. I am very shy to ask any of my teachers because even though I do well, I stay quiet most of the time.

I am a bit satisfied with my weighted, but my unweighted really worries me.

I have not take specific SAT tests but I did very well in the reading, I literally got a terrible score in the math one.

I also had to write essays during my Junior year, but I am not sure if they are enough. I am very shy to ask any of my teachers because even though I do well, I stay quiet most of the time.

I am a bit satisfied with my weighted, but my unweighted really worries me.

I have not take specific SAT tests but I did very well in the reading, I literally got a terrible score in the math one.
You are gonna have to muster up the courage then because most applications require them. If you shine in their class, they know and will brag about how awesome you are.

My highschool did Cumulative Gpa, and for every ap class you got x amount added to it based on your grade in the class and if you took the exam.

Find out ASAP if your colleges require SAT II tests because quite a few do.

Selling cocaine is pretty lucrative. You can be my business partner :)

Or...

You could just listen to SOTL. She knows too much for her own damn good, she's up to something, I tell you.

We can't really tell you how the field is going on, because it varies all across the country. For example, there is a huge influx of people going into the history degree, however I'm sure in some areas they are dying to have a history teacher. I mean in general, I would suppose that is an expanding field, so depending on where you want to go in it, it might be quite easy to find a job. Talk to a school counselor, that's why they get paid. I personally hated all of our school counselors, balls awful. However, there may be hope for yours.

Also: 4.4? Wow. That's hot. I had like a 3.6 *sobs* but I worked 36 hour weeks so... I don't feel as bad.

Still, that's one pro gpa.

You are gonna have to muster up the courage then because most applications require them. If you shine in their class, they know and will brag about how awesome you are.

My highschool did Cumulative Gpa, and for every ap class you got x amount added to it based on your grade in the class and if you took the exam.

Find out ASAP if your colleges require SAT II tests because quite a few do.

Almost all in Florida no, and I'm planning on staying in-state for at least 2 years. I might end up transferring. I can try and get some good recommendations, and my teacher really liked my Essay last year that I wrote (it was on psychology as I figured I could apply personal experience). Community Service and Clubs are another issue, I been joining clubs like crazy this year (about 10..) as I have not joined a single one in the past years.

Go and look at the freshman profiles of the schools you want to go to. See if your GPA/SAT/ACT scores fit the profile range of the students. If it does, you have a pretty good chance of getting in I would say.

Go and look at the freshman profiles of the schools you want to go to. See if your GPA/SAT/ACT scores fit the profile range of the students. If it does, you have a pretty good chance of getting in I would say.

^^ This.

And to be honest with you, there's never been a better time to get into school, especially a public school. Why do you want to stay in Florida, BTW? Why not take a chance and try a school outside of the state? There are plenty of public institutions - and private ones - that could give you full scholarships, even if your GPA is "just" a 3.2 (trust me, I've seen worse GPAs for people who obtained scholarships).

Don't just apply to Florida schools; apply to places you've always wanted to visit. Check out their programs, both academically and student-centered. Check out this book, and others like it at your local bookstores and libraries: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Scholarship-Book-2011-Scholarships/dp/1932662413/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1286475225&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: The Ultimate Scholarship Book 2011: Billions of Dollars in Scholarships, Grants and Prizes (9781932662412): Gen Tanabe, Kelly Tanabe: Books[/ame] . There are far more scholarships out there than people realize, and not all of them are academic. There are hardship ones, allergy related ones, ones for emancipated minors and/or wards of the state...you name it.

Keep searching, RL! There are opportunities upon opportunities out there for you, and this is an exciting time! :D

--arby.

Thanks to economic crises it's really not that difficult to get into schools.
The difficult part is staying in. A student that only stays for two semesters
and lives on campus is a pretty nice chunk of money.

Short of going to an Ivy League school, there's not a whole lot of difference between going to the "pay us $30,000 and your first born" college and a state university. Employers really just don't care where the degree came from as long as you have it.

As I also found out later, applying to Grad School works the same way - as long as you have a degree, you qualify in that area.

In other words; don't worry about it, a degree's a degree.