Anti-Gay Okla. Lawmakers Vote to Strip Race, Religion Protections

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
http://www.edgedallas.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=&sc2=&sc3=&id=103986

Lawmakers in Oklahoma were so determined not to cooperate with federal officials investigating hate crimes targeting gays and lesbians that they voted for a bill requiring that police files and other documents be kept from federal investigators.

But the Oklahoma State Senate referenced the wrong section of the penal code; lawmakers ended up voting to strip away hate crimes protections relevant to race and religion, not sexual orientation or sexual identity...

:m068:

Well, I live in florida so there. I still have equal protection under the law.

I...will remember not to move to Oklahoma, then.

Sorry, Will!

Well that extremely embarrassing, they couldn't even figure out right what they voted out and now its done and they probably wont take it back.
._.

Stupidity layered on ignorance with a wee dash of hate thrown in

Reactions: Satya
Unfortunately, a lot of officials in those federal offices will be more than happy to not challenge Oklahoma. It will be socially progressive institutions, not law enforcement, that will have to challenge this.

I had the pleasure of visiting a family in Oklahoma a decade or so ago. Very nice people. Very hospitable... And endless ice cream available every few blocks. But of all the places in the world I would not want to be gay, Tulsa would have to be the place. If there is ever a "christian" Coup, it will start there.

Last edited:
michigan actualy

Upper Peninsula, I can see that. Stupak is a primary member of "The Family."

But central Michigan struck me as very progressive. I had never been in touch with North-central progressiveness until I went to Ann Arbor for a summer. That was great! Lived in a commune and met lots of great people. In town, if you had a little too much to drink, you were more likely to stumble into a bookstore than another bar. Great town. Until then, I hadn't realized how distinct and unique north-central liberalism was. Like a lot of understated things in that region, it doesn't get enough press. I have trouble seeing that North Central Progressiveness fall easily to UP's conservatism, but maybe I'm wrong, I was only there for a few months.

I met a "Hutaree"-like family in Pennsylvania when I was invited to their compound. They showed me their cannons and anti-police car weapons, even demonstrated them for me. So those groups are all over. But I've never seen a concentration of Protestant Paranoia like I saw in an organized city of Tulsa.

Last edited:
michigan actualy
The lower half of the state, where most of the population resides, is rather liberal, or at the very least...accepting. If you go to the enchanted place called "up north" (which is in fact, a name for just about anywhere) to the country, you might be slightly right.

I was talking about the fiasco in the new recently about the militant "christians" planning to kll a cop and bomb a funeral, wasn't that in Michigan

I was talking about the fiasco in the new recently about the militant "christians" planning to kll a cop and bomb a funeral, wasn't that in Michigan
Oh yeah, I forgot about our crazies.

I don't value laws that define certain crimes as hate crimes - i.e., laws that discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation, and so on, so in the end I value that OK has done away with that part of the penal code.

cheers,
Ian

I don't value laws that define certain crimes as hate crimes - i.e., laws that discriminate based on race, religion, sexual orientation, and so on, so in the end I value that OK has done away with that part of the penal code.

+1

Crime is crime. Adding legislation to punish the motive of crime further will always be a slippery slope.

+1

Crime is crime. Adding legislation to punish the motive of crime further will always be a slippery slope.

While I agree with the reasoning, there is something very emotionally validating about watching some of these bastards end up with extra time for their crimes.

It would be hysterical if it wasn't legit... so it's just a disgustingly sober assessment of our xenophobic forebears.

Now they are contemplating a state militia to stand up for their rights against the federal uprising....