Annoyance With Constant and Overt Flirting? | INFJ Forum

Annoyance With Constant and Overt Flirting?

Reon

Midnight's Garden
Nov 1, 2008
MBTI
Questioning?
Enneagram
5w6
I've noticed as of recently that it extremely bothers me when people flirt excessively. Not over the top, although everyone dislikes over the top according to their own taste, but in relation to quantity. Like to the point that I actually remove myself from the situation. Excessively is a subjective term, of course, and it doesn't mean much to say excessive but I think I have a pretty low threshold for it anyway. Even the splattering of compliments starts to wear on my brain. This seems rather odd for me to feel this way since my dad was "the flirt" back in his youth, and still a bit to this day, and my first flame was a flirt as well and that didn't bother me (Of course, it could always be said that since I don't flirt at all, that's the only way I knew she was interested.). I kind of feel like I have this inherent distrust of people who actively flirt with many people; I kind of feel like they are inspiring a false feeling in someone so that they can grow to like them. I realize that flirting can be "fun", not serious, and can help people feel better about themselves but I still find it extremely distasteful.

How do you feel about flirting with the general populace? Am I perceiving this situation wrong and projecting some subconscious problem or whut?

okay goldilocks, now it's too much, now it's too little :)

how about you drag around someone and pretend to be with them, so people will stop bothering you? it works if a little dishonest.

okay goldilocks, now it's too much, now it's too little :)

how about you drag around someone and pretend to be with them, so people will stop bothering you? it works if a little dishonest.

I know, I know! I'm such the negative nancy~. Just gotta have it my way. Like Burger king?...nvm. Sadly, dragging someone around doesn't particular work for the situation I typically get annoyed in.

Lol, I find it distasteful to a degree, I guess. In my case I dislike flirting when the person doing the flirting has no real interest in the person they are flirting with and are doing it for personal gain. ie: a hot blonde flirting with a nerdy guy in her class so that he will help her out come assignments. I guess it can be seen as the nerd getting attention-feeling good about himself but then it could set him up for expectations that it could go further? I don't know, lol. Sorry if this doesn't make sense D:

I agree that the word excessive is subjective and that each person will have his or her own opinion as to when the line has been crossed. As for me, while I like to be playful, flirting can become annoying when it feels manipulative or avoids a deeper connection.

Last edited:
I find flirting distasteful when it's overdone. Something like wearing a mini skirt and heels for a job interview. Well, I guess it depends on what kind of job we are talking about.. But such things can be overdone to the point of being gross. It is an art too, everyone has his/her own threshold. I think it is also a matter of etiquette and circumstances. Just like compliments. There's a time and place to say a thing or two but too many compliments will just sound dishonest and could make a person wary.
Social interaction is a skill. Some people are bad at this and it shows in different things according to the person.

I think flirting can fit into one of two categories: cute, or nauseating. Example: a little boy teasing a girl relentlessly [cute]. A guy smiling suggestively while staring anywhere but your eyes: nauseating.
Luckily I give off a "I'll bite your head off" vibe, so no one flirts with me that often. Or the "lookit me turn invisible!" trick.

-Anna

I've never been on the receiving end of flirting (aside from the nets), so I really don't have too much of an opinion of flirting in the general public. I think it's definitely gotten more direct/sexual than it's been before, though...

Maybe if ya'll didn't get flirted with so much, maybe there'd be some left for me :m129:

I've never been on the receiving end of flirting (aside from the nets), so I really don't have too much of an opinion of flirting in the general public. I think it's definitely gotten more direct/sexual than it's been before, though...

Maybe if ya'll didn't get flirted with so much, maybe there'd be some left for me :m129:

Hahaha not many people flirt with me either. I don't think we are missing out :p.

-Anna

Everyone dislikes too much flirting. By definition is is too much. IDK what you are trying to get at.

Aw XD! Also your signature is amazing! I love Portal :D

I had to leave my job as a shop assistant when I was 14 due to guys flirting and staring at my rack :\ it was awful.

flirting sucks whenever it's directed towards me. i don't have any issues with flirting as a thing that happens between humans in general.

i mean, i should correct myself - flirting that is directed towards me sucks when i am not interested, which is 95% of the time, or more. i feel like i have to be nice so they don't get upset or feel bad about it, when all i really wanna do is tell the person to shut up and leave me alone.

i remember one time when some dude followed me and i wasn't interested but he asked for my number and i said no and instantly felt bad so i added "i have a boyfriend", which isn't true. i grossed myself out by catering to his ego like that. like, i had no interest in him and now i made it seem like i did. gross.

Hahaha not many people flirt with me either. I don't think we are missing out :p.

-Anna

same hehe

then again, I'm completely blind to these sorta things :m075:

My ability to realize when I'm being flirted with = 0, so I'm usually clueless if a girl likes me.

People flirting amongst themselves is fine with me.

[MENTION=362]Reon[/MENTION]

i enjoy flirting. though i only do it with a select few and when the moment is right.

however, flirting annoys the hell out of me when people do it constantly and with all different people. thats just being an attention whore.

kinda like a "hot" chick who think she could get by on her good looks alone. so EVERY situation she is in, she'll give the cute eyes or say something cute to keep getting her way. that shit is not cool.

I'm usually clueless if a girl likes me.

Here's good example of my unawareness. Last night I ran into a girl I haven't seen for a couple months. She told me that when we met two years ago, she began crushing on me for 22 weeks (she went on to say she over it and felt comfortable telling me about it). We saw each other at least 2x a week over those 22 weeks but I had no clue she felt anything for me beyond friendship.

Here's good example of my unawareness. Last night I ran into a girl I haven't seen for a couple months. She told me that when we met two years ago, she began crushing on me for 22 weeks (she went on to say she over it and felt comfortable telling me about it). We saw each other at least 2x a week over those 22 weeks but I had no clue she felt anything for me beyond friendship.

good job, lol.

Reactions: grt$5vb
it only bothers me if nothing comes out of it. like, flirting just to flirt-- i have a reason to flirt and flirt back.

i suppose sometimes its fun to flirt for flirt's sake, as long as i'm satisfied.

sounds like the story of my life too

I dislike this intensely.

My mother flirts constantly to overcompensate for her diminishing youth.

It's disgusting.