Androgenous pronouns and objective in language and society | INFJ Forum

Androgenous pronouns and objective in language and society

Kmal

Jan 21, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8 sx/sp
I'm not very educated regarding grammar or the actual language of english, much less foreign languages. Are there any problems with using androgenous pronouns instead of using masculine and feminine pronouns? Is there a language that does that, or is the closest to doing so? What problems do you see with replacing masculine and feminine pronouns with solely androgenous pronouns? Could you see it being beneficial towards the future? Would it help relieve some sexual tension, and how would it change the view of people and sex, and gender-(roles) in the society that used it?
What problems do you see with objectively identifying as androgenous?

I know what you mean. It is very frustrating not to exclude one gender while writing.

In most of my essays, I constantly use "he or she", "him or her", and "man or woman" as to not seem gender-biased.

I've settled with using "one" to refer to a non-specific person. It gets really repetitive, though.

I like using "One", man is alright as it can refer to "human kind" in general.

I go by the narrator's/focus's gender.

Considering that language focuses and refines thoughts & thought processes, I can only see the use of genderless pronouns as progress towards social equality and creativity. Mental associations would (hopefully) become more unbiased and varied. There is, however, the issue of dogma: androgeny, as I understand it anway, is commonly thought of as an emotional phenomenon and identity preference. Anyone who disagrees with the philosophy behind it, and there is a valid biological viewpoint to do so from, would be wronged. Not that a sex-thirsty paradigm is any better, of course.

Instead of altering an entire language (unless one already exists), it may be best to peacefully push against the confines of culture. "Let it be a mindset instead of a skillset", as one of my teachers has said. I've taken to just using "one" in my writing and getting creative with wording to prevent repetition.

Reactions: Kmal
I'll be repping thon 'til I die

Apparently some languages (eg Finnish, Estonian, Persian) have no gender-specific pronouns at all, but there seems to be no significant differences in how gender is viewed in countries where they are spoken. It's probably beneficial for writers of erotica who wish to reach a wider audience, though (using English non-gendered substitutes for standard pronouns in this context would be quite amusing though, I assume).

Indonesian does.

He / She is translated as 'dia' (spelled dee-ah); either male or female. IF you want to make the language vague; you can just put that.

One is a good alternative, though; I often uses it when I don't feel the need to emphasis the gender.

However, as per social roles and such..no idea.

none of them really sound very good to me.
Of course they don't, and no one ever will (at first). Pronouns are used all the time, any change to them will sound completely off.

Language is fundamental to the human experience as it defines how we percieve and experience the world. The study of linguistics is key to understanding how thoughts and perceptions are shaped. Gender neutrality in language will be a significant step in the right direction towards equality. It has to be reasonable and practical though, the goal in language should always be to communicate as concise and accurately as possible, and some gender pronouns are necessary to communicate effectively.

All spoken languages are constantly changing and adapting. Introducing new words, concepts and grammar is ensuring the survival of a language, not necessarily the demise of it. Language needs to adapt as culture evolves and new paradigms are realised. Modern english itself is a relatively new, bastardised language based on many other Indo-european, Scandinavian, Latin and Romance language roots and concepts. English continues to evolve everyday as more people around the world speak it and use it with new technology- text/email speech etc.

The linguistic, Lera Boroditsky, has done some interesting work on linguistics and gender neutrality. I saw a lecture of hers where she outlined some of her research on grammatical gender. For example, in the Russian language chairs are treated as masculine and beds are treated as feminine, and Russian speakers used masculine and feminine terms respectively to describe these objects.

http://edge.org/3rd_culture/boroditsky09/boroditsky09_index.html

Here is a link to her website. Very interesting in general, definately worth a look.