Am I an INFJ or an INTP?

ascii

Two
May 6, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Hi guys, this is my first post here. I've been questioning my team for a very long time, and have never reached conclusive results. I was hoping you would all be willing to help me. So here's my basic description (I wrote this a little while ago when I thought I could have been an INTJ, something I don't believe is true now):

I'm pretty much completely positive that I am an introvert. I enjoy spending time alone, and I feel much more energized after I've spent time alone. It's how I relax, social activity exhausts me.

N vs S also hasn't been very hard for me. No one in the post I linked doubted that I was an N, and I believe I fit the description well.

As to whether or not I'm a thinker or a feeler, well this is probably the area I'm least certain about. I'm a fan of logical subjects (I spend lots of my spare time programming /learning and writing math and algorithms). I've always thought I've been pretty aware of what other people are thinking and feeling (of course I can't actually know this for certain, but I've found it's something that I have some insight into). I'm always trying to see things from what other people are feeling, and I hate it when I can't figure someone out. I don't think I'm very blunt, somewhere where I go against the T "symptom." If someone asks me "Does this make me look fat?" there's no way in hell I'm going to say yes. Please feel free to ask me some more questions to try to figure me out here (and also, if you can, skim the thread I linked above from INTJf).

P vs J is an interesting one for me. I've always thought I was a J (I like things organized, I show up to places early, hate being late, generally dislike last-minute decisions, but I can also be a hell of a procrastinator and then chunk out 10 pages of a paper in a few hours of solid work). The part that confuses me is, even though I think of myself as a J, when I read the descriptions of the INTP and the INTJ, I feel like I fit much better into the INTP description. I don't particularly enjoy telling people what to do and I often don't want to have to be a leader, but I hate being told what to do (if someone doesn't ask politely and make me want to do it, I'm probably going to tell them to screw off). I also try to keep the peace, I usually don't enjoy fighting (unless it's with someone I truly detest), as you can probably tell from my T/F part noted above.

I also do believe I could be an INFJ, if I am in fact a feeler.

One more note, on the matter of INTP vs INTJ, is that I usually enjoy theoretical (I spend as much time reading about the theory of programming as I do actually programming) books, and I definitely don't fit the INTJ "learn as much as you need to apply something." I don't believe you can apply something well unless you are a master at it, so I hate only half knowing things. All of this makes me lean towards INTP, but going purely on the basis of dichotomy I feel like I fit being a judger much better than being a perceiver.

Thank you,
ascii

Also, first post, so hi ;)

For some more information, here's the template "What's My Type?" questionaire from personalitycafe.com.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I explain it in my above post. I never felt fully confident that I was what I had test as (an INTJ) because... well they kind of came off as douchebags in the description and I don't fit their description in some places.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I love knowing things, and intelligence. I value creative problem solving skills and a well rounded education above all things when judging a person, and it's what I strive for myself.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I usually feel at my finest when I feel like I've intellectually accomplished something. I usually get ecstatic when I solve a good math problem, write a nifty algorithm or finish a computer program.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
People calling me stupid (though I've gotten to the point where, for the most part, I just ignore them), thinking I'm inadequate or incapable of performing a task.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I usually think about people as they relate to pro-cons. I don't want to cause conflicts (though, if I'm trying to make someone angry, I will probably try to piss them off, and usually succeed), and I try to get an outcome that maintains the status quo.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I'm happy to let other people lead, but if there a crappy leader and the project isn't going to get done, I try to make people get their part done while doing as little "being the leader" as I can.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
My first Quizbowl tournament, when me and the team traveled on a bus to a tournament. It was the first time I realized I have found my "niche" for High School, and found people I enjoyed talking too.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Usually I'll read up on the topic for a while, and once I feel like I've thoroughly read about it (and memorized as much as I need, though I usually just use whatever I read as a reference) I start to toy around and eventually fully utilize the skill to be productive.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Reasonably. I'm usually psychologically at peace, and my desk/room can get messy but are usually clean enough for me to function in. I always have mental checklists of things to do and when I'm going to do them.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Definitely look for the principles behind it that make sense. I'm usually not a fan of having to provide a surplus of evidence, but rather explain principles in a way that makes sense. I find this much more convincing.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Usually the latter. I have a somewhat strict "don't get in other peoples business" policy. I don't like people interfering with me, so I try not to interfere with them. I can get along fine with the knowledge that someone else is not, as long as I know I'm being myself.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
I like one-on-one to small group (3-4 max) discussions. I usually form a general idea in my head, and try to work out the wording as I talk. I'm unfortunately, pretty bad at this, and frequently just babble like an idiot. I'm not great at speaking in front of people when I have to figure out the wording on the spot.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I'm pretty cautious, so I usually try to have some sense of what I'm getting myself into before I do something. I believe words are the best actions, and a good speech speaks louder than something like violence.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Depends on how I'm feeling. I don't want to piss them off/dissapoint, so I might say yes, but I'd definitely prefer to stay home. It really depends on the mood I was in.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
Usually shut myself in my room and work until my stress is gone (I've accomplished everything I needed too). I might take breaks, but they'll basically be checking my e-mail and surfing a few web pages.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Ignorance, not thinking things through and general rudeness. I try to be polite when I speak, and expect the same respect back.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I love talking about computers, technology and programming.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
I should probably spend more time at the gym and physically exercising than I do :/

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
Usually my friends see me as a "funny one." I crack a lot of jokes around people, and generally keep the laughter going. I don't think people realize how much of a massive geek I am when it comes to computers, and how much I probably dislike them (I dislike close to 90% of people I meet :/)

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Sleep, code and eat junk food!

Sorry if this thread is now too much reading :/

Thanks,
ascii

Make a video and I'll do a physigionomy analysis of you! :)) will helps lots. But INFJs and INTPs can look surprisingly alike. Some things to look for if you don't make a video: INTP's blink more and divert their eyes/blink/look down/look away alot more than INFJ's, who gaze and look steadily at the other person, only to once a while use their Ti. INTP's move their body around more than INFJ's, more internal energy! wahh, sit still? never!

They have a very distinct way of talking too.. INTP's, that is. Check videos and compare an INFJ with an INTP! :) In manner of functions, we are surprisingly alike.. We are so similar I find, that it's quite scary! And our connection is so heavy. But yet we are so not alike. We resent each others and see kindred in each others. Anybody know why this is?

Reactions: the
Well, I'm just going to put in my two cents based on my own MBTI journey. Note the following bullets probably aren't going to be in any particular order, just as I remember them.

I prescribe to the Beebe model of cognitive functions, I believe it's quite superior than others, though I know a few who don't like the system. Its easier to instead of saying "Am I T or F?" Simply ask "am I Fe, or Fi? And if so which do I prefer? Once you have decided on the four you definitely are, well then just order them in the list of how you use them.

Here's a quick description of INFJ by function, I only did this one because I'm much more familiar with INFJ than with INTP. Keep in mind these are just generic/vague type descriptions... Don't harp on the semantics too much

INFJ

1) Ni - Used as a primary function, this function is used to direct yourself through the fogs of life. You automatically see the hidden in world in each small object, and you *probably* believe heavily in contextual meaning, you are constantly on the search for truth. The moves themselves do not matter, as all of life is a game, however its merely the thought of playing the game that ever really counts. Rules are irrelevant, as it all boils down to a simpler answer. Expanding on that, when someone tells you something, you'll use your Fe to see what you really believe about that statement, after all every judgement is only a place holder for a 'more true' judgement, and what you see probably isn't what really 'is' at first glance. Despite my Ni being aux, I tend to hold the belief there's always another side to an argument, which lends itself to the line of thinking that this world is really quite material and not much stock should be placed into anything, as its all temporary, giving way to a higher truth.

2) Fe - When used as an auxilliary function, Fe shows the good nature of human beings. You use this function not to direct, but to explore. You enjoy showing people how important they are in your life, and you feel better after expressing your emotions. When coupled with Ni, Fe seeks out how the other person is truly feeling about something, vs. what they may just say that they feel. Due to your introverted nature, while you don't like big parties or events, you do however greatly enjoy other human contact, because it reminds you of where you are in this cosmos.

3) Ti - Everything should make sense to you. You do not like it one bit when something escapes your grasp, especially when its something your peers handle well. This is not to say you fly off the handle at any small hiccup when it comes to not grasping something, you are patient and aware everyone understands differently. However, what is it about this problem you aren't getting? Logical puzzles that make you take things apart in your mind give you great satisfaction, again unless you are completely stumped. This function is more likely to be in use with Se, due to that being your inferior function you're not going to enjoy the use of both of these together very much. Frankly though I can't really describe both of those functions together in that order, merely because I'm not INFJ :O

4) Se - Ahh, Se. As your inferior function Se really grinds your gears, frankly you hate it when you are confronted with the external world. Its such a mess, its so petty, doesn't anyone see the bigger picture? You probably are lost in thought consistently, and driving can be a hassle especially during rush hour, stop and go: your mind constantly living in the moment. What about the future? Is it of no consequence? Inf. Se may lead you to bluff about being ... more confident in something you are, typically with the 'live in the moment' type situations.

Now than,

- T vs. F - Try not to think about it in the way of enjoying logical things. For example, as ENFJ Ti is my inferior, however I quite enjoy thinking critically and analyzing subjects that I enjoy. I get quite frustrated however, when it does not go my way. INTJs with their tertiary Fi, are bound to be polite in the first place, with a live and let live attitude. Unless of course, their external logical based on factual evidence is disregarded, then you must be tought to obey the observalble laws of our universe. Its nothing personal though. When it comes to F, with INFJs you'll enjoy showing your love and expressing your feelings on matters with everyone. WHile you are very private, you know when expressing yourself will help someone else. Honestly, its quite different from INTJ. As an INTP however, with F you don't like to play games with peoples emotions, you're very honest and to the point and you see no reason to sugarcoat anything. (Where as an INFJ would be more likely to sugar coat something in order for it to be received better).

S vs. N - You have this down pretty pat, so I'm not really gonna bugabout this one. With Ni, vs Ne though: Ni looks at the infinite world in each item/thought/belief/whatever, due to its introverted nature it looks in for its guidance. Where as Ne obviously looks to the external, when coupled with Si, Ne relates things far away to things close at home. How we can implement things of another world to things we do everyday. Ne will just throw things out there (although still reserved as an INTP), where as Ni carefully checks all possible consequences, how something may be taken, or viewed before releasing it for peer review.

I vs. E - This in most cases is quite easy to tag. I however, thought I was an INFJ for a very long time. I figured out eventually, I'm merely a socially reserved extravert. The way I figured that out, was what did I spend my time on. For me, whenever I was alone, and I'd let my mind wander, it'd almost always have something to do with someone else, a person. Even though in person I wanted to be by myself, in spirit I was never alone, I was always thinking of someone else. My brother is an INTJ, he just likes to be by hisself because he sees no reason to be with other people. He can better develop his inner world, and whatever that inner world is working on, when people, or even just external things are not brought into question. (This last part was more PvsJ, but IvsE is hard to precisely define because it comes from your dominant function).

P vs. J - Thinking of it from now on not as P vs, J, but Pe, vs. Je. (Perceiving external, vs. Judging external). When one is a J, it means out of their first two functions, their judging function must be extraverted. (Fe/Te). Out of all the dichomotoies, P vs J is really not only the most straight forward, but also the most 'my way or the highway' there's no "i'm both p and j, i fluctuate between both." You're either %100 J, or %100 P. Because its your view on the world, its essentially the building block for your other functions. As a J, I must structurally organize my external world of feelings, (Fe), so I may be free to explore my inner world of intuition. (Ni). The reason why things cannot be out of place, and I do not like to be late, is because it takes a lot of energy in order to calm myself enough to enter into my inner world, and I get on a jetstream, and I'm zooming through conclusions and puzzles, but the smallest interruption and I'm yanked out into the real world again and I can't always find my place. Where as if you're a P, the external world has so much to learn from, you must be secure in your logical beliefs that are true to you. If your core beliefs are solid as a rock, you can tie a rope to it and you'll never be lost in the world. So you let yourself go, explore! You'll always find your way back home.

This post might not be at all what you're looking for, my apologies if that was the case.

I've been wondering about the same thing.

I've been quite good at math. Not ecellent and my grades varied a lot. I can do it but it starts to become very frusturating.
I've M.Sc degree. But I doubt my ability to get in the fields such as psysics or mathematics.
I've never been artistic. I hate admit but I have been quite perfectionistic so I've suppresed it. Nowadays I can finally say that I can enjoy it.
Interacting with people seems to be very important for me. I once claimed that this wasn't the case but I was terrribly wrong about that. I'm 100 % sure of my Fe.
I'd choose F over T usually. I can came out as pseudo extroverted but I'm truly an introvert.
I was very stubborn child but caring and also sometimes very aloof in unfamiliar situations.
I think I have an "INTP mode". Do not take this statement as an offence but when I was seriously depressed and anxious I think was like low functioning INTP.

Yeah , I'm a INFJ who had prety severe identity crisis.

Sometimes "eenie meenie minne moe" helps. If only to let you know which one you root for.

I thik it's actually good to do a test measuring the strenghts of the functions. An INFJ would have intuition as the strongest function, feeling and thinking more equally strong and sensing as the weakest.
An INTP would have thinking as strongest, intuition and sensing more equal in the middle and and feeling as the least preferred.
My own order of functions in strenght is (from strongest to weakest)
Ni
Ne
Fi
Fe
Ti
Te
Se
Si

Despite curiosities like my Fi being stronger than Fe the order of the functions in strenght is N-F-T-S.
Were I an INFP or an ENFJ for example I'd have F as the lead function.
I'm strongly N lead. Having F second in strenght would indicate INFJ or ENFP. The judging functions F and T are more closely tied in dominant intuitives so it's good to check wether you truly are F or T.
That gives four options for type for those whose strongest overall function is N: INFJ, ENFP, INTJ, ENTP.
This is where you consider wether you are an introvert or extrovert. Not wether you are super social or not or shy, or wether you'd rather sit at home on a saturday night eating cookies and watching reruns of Seinfeld at home...but wether you gain energy by external stimuli or wether you lose it. Dario Nardi's EEG experiments tentatively suggest that introvert's brains are constantly naturally somewhat stimulated and extroverts' isn't. That is why they search stimulus in the external world. http://www.keys2cognition.com/papers/EEGandSocialCognition.pdf
I know that, though I'm sporadically quite social and do enjoy socializing, I do get sensory overload easier than some, so I know I'm I.
That leaves INFJ or INTJ.
Since my Fi is high I would want to be sure I'm not an INTJ, especially since I'm a female (society's F bias for raising females). Incidentally it's also common for INFJs to have a high Ti score. That's when you need to figure out and read up on the actual functions. Am I Fe-Ti or Te-Fi? To further complicate things, especially if you're an adult, according to Nardi you start developing your shadow functions in adulthood. So that'd be Ne and Fi for INFJs and Te and Ni for INTPs... ;D http://www.darionardi.com/functions.html
Here's a table showing functions development stages with age for INTJs
intjfunctions.jpg
I'd recommend hanging out at forums observing whom you relate to better. ;D
Happy hunting!!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are lucky you'll get ISTJ.

Dude ... or Dudess ...

Learn the 8 cognitive functions and find out witch 4 of them fit into you the most. After that learn how can you develop your 2 weaker functions, so that you can become a masterpiece of a personality. That is all I can say and it is enough. In my opinion one should find out the most himself.