bamf

Is Watching You
Retired Staff
Apr 9, 2009
MBTI
Meh
Enneagram
Meh
So I've got a question for you my friends.

The story is pretty typical; boy meets girl at work, boy and girl start talking, boy and girl start hanging out, boy and girl start flirting, boy thinks he has feelings for girl, yada yada yada.

The dilemma is boy is 19 and girl is 22. In this day in age in America, do you see any problems with a possible relationship? Any reason for the boy to quit while he's ahead, or at the least not loosing?

Keeping in mind this is all 'hypothetical' of course...

So I've got a question for you my friends.

The story is pretty typical; boy meets girl at work, boy and girl start talking, boy and girl start hanging out, boy and girl start flirting, boy thinks he has feelings for girl, yada yada yada.

The dilemma is boy is 19 and girl is 22. In this day in age in America, do you see any problems with a possible relationship? Any reason for the boy to quit while he's ahead, or at the least not loosing?

Keeping in mind this is all 'hypothetical' of course...

I hate to say it, because its so vague, unhelpful and about as clear as dishwater, but it really depends on the girl. I'm only a year older than this 'hypothetical' girl, and I would personally have my reservations about dating a man younger than myself. Then again, I have a specific preference for older men in general, so that's the attraction factor to consider in here.

But I have friends who are seeing younger guys (initiated by the guys too, by the way) and are totally comfortable with it. So really, it could be a hit or it could be a miss.

Indirectly joke about asking her out one day, and see how she reacts.

Three years difference?

My grandmother was seven years older than my grandfather...
My father is two years older than my mother...

When I was 15 I lost my virginity to a 19 year old.
One girl I dated was 8 years older than me.

What does age matter? Especially that small amount?

Age is just a number.

I personally follow the "1/2 your age +7 rule". so for me anyone over 26 is too old. And that feels right to me. I also wouldnt date anyone younger then 17.

I prefer older women, but 22 is still really young.

Depending on how she is, I'd say go for it.

I don't think 19 and 22 is any issue. The average 22 year old girl is much more mature than the average 19 year old guy, but I don't know the people involved so I'd say judge for yourself.

It depends on both. I am in a similar situation, except the girl is 30 and I am 20! I never thought she was 30 tbh, I guessed around 24, but the point is I am attracted to her (I dunno about her to me fully mostly because she's just got married under circumstances I wouldn't call normal) but if we just 2 free single people then I would not hesitate to try and take things further. I like her because I see her as fun but mature, not a giggling retard like most girls I have come across. I'd like to think she'd like me for similar reasons.

I short, age doesn't matter, as long as the feelings between the two people are genuine.

If you're both interested in each other, go for it.

Jeez, I've only been attracted to men younger than me...roughly 5-10 years younger.

I do notice for some reason, female INFJs seem to date younger & male INFJs date older. Very bizarre.

A good friend of mine is an INFJ and she only dates older men. I don't have a problem dating a girl younger than me, but they couldn't be much younger (19 if I'm pushing it) and they'd have to have a pretty good head on their shoulders.

In general it just seems like a better idea because older women are more experienced in the ways of life (among other things..) and it's less bullshit to put up with. I had a short fling with a 19 year old a few months ago, and she turned crazy very quickly.

3 years? What's the problem? My best friend is 26 and dating a 19 year old and they're perfectly happy.

Just depends on the girl. Some girls gag at the thought of dating anyone younger than them (myself included). But three years. Hell, I would even date someone just three years younger. That's no biggie. Ok, I probably wouldn't actually, but I wouldn't rule it out altogether. I think it's only a 'thing' if you get into double digits age difference. "quit while you're ahead" Don't do that, love is all about risk. Gotta put yourself on a limb every now and again. Who wants to be Bubble Boy, emotionally speaking? Good luck either way, dood...

Thank you everyone for your hypothetical advice for my hypothetical question

Jeez, I've only been attracted to men younger than me...roughly 5-10 years younger.

I do notice for some reason, female INFJs seem to date younger & male INFJs date older. Very bizarre.
This girl I like is 10 years older than me. I want to find out her MBTI.

A good friend of mine is an INFJ and she only dates older men. I don't have a problem dating a girl younger than me, but they couldn't be much younger (19 if I'm pushing it) and they'd have to have a pretty good head on their shoulders.

In general it just seems like a better idea because older women are more experienced in the ways of life (among other things..) and it's less bullshit to put up with. I had a short fling with a 19 year old a few months ago, and she turned crazy very quickly.
I think that's why I mostly like older girls. I know they say girls mature sooner, but most girl of my age and even a few years older seems somewhat moronic in their cares and pursuits. Although that could be mostly show..

I would be hesitant about dating someone younger than me. I'd be worried about the maturity and life experience / stage that the boy was in.

I would be hesitant about dating someone younger than me. I'd be worried about the maturity and life experience / stage that the boy was in.
What if though, you spoke to them for 5 days a week for 8 months and had time to weigh them up them and came to the conclusion they were more mature that most MEN fullstop? Would age still be an issue simply because of numbers with you? (I'm not implying it would, simply curious to see if the traditional stigma of vastly varying ages affects your opinion)

They are both adults. Let them do what they want.

19 and 22 is pretty big maturity gap. But not always... But I prefer either my age (24 going on 35) or older. I draw the line at 30 though. That's too old for me.

But I guess if the two parties with a three year age difference sat down and had a conversation and realized that they were both on the same wavelength mentally etc. etc.. well then that'd be dreamy.

Last edited: