Aesthetics | INFJ Forum

Aesthetics

Satya

C'est la vie
Retired Staff
May 11, 2008
MBTI
INXP
What are your thoughts on this branch of philosophy?

Is beauty really only in the eye of the beholder, or is their objective beauty in this world?

Why does the perception of what is beautiful and what is ugly vary so much in some cases, but remain timeless and unchanging in others?

Why do certain images, sounds, tastes, textures, or smells invoke such strong emotions within us?

What is beautiful to you?

Is beauty really only in the eye of the beholder, or is their objective beauty in this world?

Why does the perception of what is beautiful and what is ugly vary so much in some cases, but remain timeless and unchanging in others?

Why do certain images, sounds, tastes, textures, or smells invoke such strong emotions within us?

LOVE the topic, Satya. I have to go for a bit tonight, but look forward to giving this one a thoughtful response in the near future.

I think true beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but we can all find aesthetically pleasing qualities in all things. What things are typically viewed as ugly throughout time? Excluding things like face eating tumors? Generally, I would base it on the fact of social intervention; people stating that that person is inferior because of (insert reason)

Images, sounds, taste, and smells invoke strong emotions in us because of how our brains are wired, I'd assumed. Just how we perceive and remember things

(Wow...I just realized how terrible this post came out XD)

Studies show symmetry in humans is considered beautiful. That's the only thing I can think of that's "timeless" and mostly objective because it's a subconscious process. Other than that I think it's just preference.

Studies show symmetry in humans is considered beautiful. That's the only thing I can think of that's "timeless" and mostly objective because it's a subconscious process. Other than that I think it's just preference.

I've heard the same thing (I was going to put it in my post but I chickened out) but what exactly are the right proportions? I've heard of the golden ratio(fi?) and all that, and just waist to face type stuff, but I haven't heard/seen what the actual proportions are

I've heard the same thing (I was going to put it in my post but I chickened out) but what exactly are the right proportions? I've heard of the golden ratio(fi?) and all that, and just waist to face type stuff, but I haven't heard/seen what the actual proportions are

I'm not sure exactly, but there are markers in the face and certain ratios for both males and females that are considered to be attractive. I think the "v" shape for guys small hip with broader back and shoulders, and something with the hour glass shape for females.

I don't believe there will ever be a universal example of beauty. Beauty is only what one person ascribes to something/someone.