Advising others=Advising yourself? | INFJ Forum

Advising others=Advising yourself?

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by Raccoon Love, Feb 6, 2010.

Share This Page

More threads by Raccoon Love
  1. Raccoon Love

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    I do not know how to explain this, but here I go, a lot of the times when I am advising someone on a certain issue I feel like I am advising myself..because I myself might be going through this, the irony of this is that I am fully aware of my problems because I am able to advice others on what to do in certain situations but I don't apply it to myself. I can tell someone to cheer up or to stop being depressed even I am depressed myself, I feel that I am being ironic and a bit of a hypocrite...does anyone else experience this? I wish I can come up with a better explanation really, I am just finding it hard to put my thoughts together at the moment.

2. Timeless

Timeless Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENTP
    It's all about where your focus is at.

3. randomsomeone

randomsomeone Well-known member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Yes, my advise tends to be a general observations that may very well apply to me at any time and I am very aware of this when I say anything. I guess the reason I do this is that I never really know how to advise someone...I just tend to travel alongside for a bit.

4. forgetblueskies

forgetblueskies Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Helping others often makes me feel much better, too. Sometimes, the things I say to other people, I need to hear as well. So I totally understand where you're coming from.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Puck

Puck Perilous Pixie
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    Hey Ho
    Enneagram:
    flibble
    Story of my life, RL :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. under skies

under skies Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    Sometimes I really want to tell people to suck it up because their problems really aren't as bad as they seem to think they are, but I am one of the whiniest people on the planet. I don't vocalize my complaints, but I definitely dwell for too long on the trifling things that upset me.

And sometimes when I am giving people advice, I can make a lot of assumptions about the way they feel based on my closest experience to the situation. That could translate to me really giving myself advice more than giving it to them.

I mean, I don't think I do those things as often now as I used to when I was younger, but I have definitely done both of those things in the past. (And I do eventually getting around to telling myself to stop my soundless complaints. I am always aware of how ridiculous I am being.)

7. BlinkandThink

BlinkandThink Community Member

Threads:
    MBTI:
    FREE
    Enneagram:
    7w6
    Honestly, most of the people who ask me for advice (and a lot of people do this) don't have the same problems I do ... so I can't really say I'm advising both of us at the same time.

But every once in a while, I will end up having the same problem and someone will give me the advice I already gave them ... which they have to do because I forgot what I said. And then I'm all: "Oh." :m024:

8. Trifoilum

Trifoilum find wisdom, build hope.

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5
    Yup.

Or it is that I'm able to empathize because of experience; so I'm advising others as to give myself a proper, legit piece of my mind not to commit such mistakes anymore.

9. Top cat

Top cat Permanent Fixture

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    ?
    I think the remedy could be.. if you are feeling down and want to help someone who is feeling down, instead of telling them the usual 'cheer up' and such, you can make it personal just by looking at your own situation, and telling them what you do when you are in their situation.

10. Roger

Roger ...

Threads:
    MBTI:
    ENFP
    Enneagram:
    -
    Sometimes i feel i think i advising myself. Thanks for sharing.

11. Morgain

Morgain defective wisdom
    Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ again
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    this ^