Advice for conflict resolution | INFJ Forum

Advice for conflict resolution

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
How do you resolve conflicts and/or gain a sense of closure when the other party refuses to discuss it?

It's driving me nuts!!

I don't know if this bears relevance but if it helps, the person I have in mind is an INFP and very strong Fi dominant and I'm.... well, possibly INFJ or something in the neighbourhood. We also share living space, so I can't avoid them.

Any ideas/suggestions/advice?

Give space to the other person to blow off some steam, and s/he might be prepared for a discussion later.

How long has this been going on?
And how much exactly are you willing to compromise on that issue for the sake of a closure?

You can't resolve it if you can't discuss it.

You have my sympathy. It's maddening. If their intention is to blow off steam then they should say so otherwise it's just annoying and likely to breed distrust between you. However, ignoring is a highly destructive strategy used by many. Good luck getting them to see the light.

How do you resolve conflicts and/or gain a sense of closure when the other party refuses to discuss it?

It's tough. I think if someone has the feeling that conflict is not a good thing or if they already feel that there is a conflict of interest, no chance of compromise, etc. then it's harder for them to want to talk about it. If they feel their voice is not being heard or their feelings are not being recognized or acknowledged, then they're likely to avoid conflict. Or if they feel or perceive they will not get their way, then they may think there's no use in talking about it. So, with these reasons, it's going to be difficult for them to want to deal with it. I think if she feels that opinion or feelings, even if they are wrong, are appreciated and respected, then she'll be willing to talk. But if she feels her views or feelings are not going to be seen as valid, then she will avoid it.

It's driving me nuts!!

I don't know if this bears relevance but if it helps, the person I have in mind is an INFP and very strong Fi dominant and I'm.... well, possibly INFJ or something in the neighbourhood. We also share living space, so I can't avoid them.

Any ideas/suggestions/advice?

You can talk it out with another person who will listen without judgment.
You can write it out in a journal.
You can meditate on your need(s) that underlie the conflict.

[MENTION=2300]Siamese cat[/MENTION] had a good question. How long has this been going on and what/if you are willing to compromise.
[MENTION=1669]Rite[/MENTION] gave excellent reasons for why someone may not want to discuss a resolution.

Care to give more details?

Are they refusing to discuss it, or taking time to cool off and collect their thoughts?

I tend to do that.. take a while to settle down if I'm extremely offended or upset--and it's so as not to make things worse.

Reactions: Gaze
Thank you for the replies. :)

Give space to the other person to blow off some steam, and s/he might be prepared for a discussion later.

How long has this been going on?
And how much exactly are you willing to compromise on that issue for the sake of a closure?

I didn't go into detail and maybe I should have been more clear. There are multiple conflicts that I feel have remained unresolved, and some that maybe have been addressed but not to the full extent to which I feel I need to be able to address them. So it's more of a dynamic/trend than an ongoing conflict, although the latter is also true.

What am I willing to compromise? I suppose I'd have to have a particular situation in mind to be able to go into detail. I guess more than anything I'd like the discussion to offer both of us clarity and resolution, for us both to understand where the other is coming from and to feel heard. I don't need to "be right" or gain any sort of artificial one-upness from it... I just want greater understanding and peace. The presence of repetitive conflicts suggests something's amiss and it would be nice to address it and learn from it.

You can't resolve it if you can't discuss it.

You have my sympathy. It's maddening. If their intention is to blow off steam then they should say so otherwise it's just annoying and likely to breed distrust between you. However, ignoring is a highly destructive strategy used by many. Good luck getting them to see the light.

Thank you. This person is someone who is very tenacious in their stance when it comes to feelings/beliefs but generally seeks to express understanding toward others. I think it's a clash of needs/personalities more than anything and a loaded/turbulent history that is still being re-written in the present, so to speak. But nonetheless, it feels quite awful.

It's tough. I think if someone has the feeling that conflict is not a good thing or if they already feel that there is a conflict of interest, no chance of compromise, etc. then it's harder for them to want to talk about it. If they feel their voice is not being heard or their feelings are not being recognized or acknowledged, then they're likely to avoid conflict. Or if they feel or perceive they will not get their way, then they may think there's no use in talking about it. So, with these reasons, it's going to be difficult for them to want to deal with it. I think if she feels that opinion or feelings, even if they are wrong, are appreciated and respected, then she'll be willing to talk. But if she feels her views or feelings are not going to be seen as valid, then she will avoid it.

Very, very true. Thank you.

You can talk it out with another person who will listen without judgment.
You can write it out in a journal.
You can meditate on your need(s) that underlie the conflict.

@Siamese cat had a good question. How long has this been going on and what/if you are willing to compromise.
@Rite gave excellent reasons for why someone may not want to discuss a resolution.

Care to give more details?

I'm not sure what else to add. I think a part of it is a difference in needs. It may be that I simply need to talk about these things more to the level at which they feel uncomfortable. Compromise is essential, but the outcome can be subpar because whichever approach is taken, either they feel uncomfortable and pressed or I feel like things have been unaddressed. I might need to consider fulfilling that need in other ways. There's also the issue that I feel I can't bring things up, whether they're bothering me or of a more benign nature, which is related but also something else altogether. Ugh. I think in part it comes down to an incompatibility and there's only so much that can be done with that, and a rocky history.

Are they refusing to discuss it, or taking time to cool off and collect their thoughts?

I tend to do that.. take a while to settle down if I'm extremely offended or upset--and it's so as not to make things worse.

Thank you for the perspective. :) It's a little bit of both. Sometimes it's been a matter of "Can we talk about this later", except the later doesn't always come about and I hate to feel as though I'm nagging (since I'm more likely to be the one asking to talk about it in the first place).

I don't know guys (gals). I don't mean to sound as though they're being stubborn or resistant, or if they are that those reactions aren't in response to something I'm doing or saying. I'm trying to do what I can but I have my shortcomings in this area and I can understand if the resistance/reluctance is in part due to that in addition to what I've said about differing needs. I guess I'm at the point where I welcome doing what I can to improve it but I also realize the situation may not change much and I'm looking for a way to find peace anyway. I can't stand the strain and tension I feel from it. It drains me and it's wearying.

It's so frustrating when it's family -which it kind of sounds like in your situation. My mother sounds a lot like the person you describe. She refuses to have any type of serious conversation with me and shuts down no matter how I approach her. After years of therapy, I've learned I just have to accept her and her inability to deal with conflict and that she'll never be (and never was) the mother I 'need' and fill the void elsewhere. The other option is to drive myself crazy trying to get the resolution I need from her, which will never happen. If it's not family and more like a roommate, I'd end the drama and either make them leave or move out myself, which I've done too.

I've only recently had to deal with these type of people in the workplace. I've always been in the position of power, but have changed careers to find myself on the other end. I have a hot-blooded co-worker who refuses to have conversations, but on another level. Instead of shutting down, he interrupts and shouts over EVERY WORD I SAY when there is conflict. One time, as hard as I tried, I couldn't control holding back the tears. I haven't had an emotional reaction like this since I was a child and my display of 'weakness' to this jerk really upset me. After talking with my sister, she made the connection back to how I react to our mother and that understanding changed how I approach him. I ended up sending an email explaining my actions and calling out his unprofessional behavior in great detail to the higher-ups. That made a huge difference. Any time he raises his voice, I let tell him that when he's calmed down, we can have a conversation in my office. If all else fails, I involve the owner in on the conversation to mediate, but he will have to hear me out one way or another.

That sucks. Avoiding the issue is no fair at all. I can understand your need for closure..
Maybe that's why some people avoid--because to withold closure for the other makes them feel in control.
Either that or they really just do not care as much as you do. Or maybe they feel attacked when you try to bring something up (even if you don't intend to come off that way.)
Those are just a few reasons I can think of.

How do you approach them about stuff?

Reactions: Gaze
Sometimes it comes down to the fact the other person cannot make a change without compromising their "principles" (so they think).
I can remember times when I wanted to talk about what was bothering me only to come to the conclusion nothing I say will make any difference anyway - so why even attempt it.
Maybe they think you want them to change themselves beyond what they deem acceptable. You probably sense(feel) their anger when it arises before the first word is spoken - so you turn away from it knowing the timing is off for a discussion.
Yelling may be called for in this case. It may at least release some tension for you.

Life is too short for this. Closure may not be the most important thing. Talking again and being friends may allow it to just come up for discussion one day. Some words are best left unspoken. Good luck and hang in there or get out of there if you cannot deal with it. Don't torture yourself. You will find the right answers.

Life is too short for this. Closure may not be the most important thing. Talking again and being friends may allow it to just come up for discussion one day. Some words are best left unspoken. Good luck and hang in there or get out of there if you cannot deal with it. Don't torture yourself. You will find the right answers.

^ True words

I slam doors and cut off loose ends like it's nobody's business. I've learned to resolve myself to doing only what it is I can do. If it falls to the other person to reciprocate in some way and there's nothing in return, I simply close the door and walk away.

A person like that isn't worth my own time or trouble.