adopting cultural mannerisms | INFJ Forum

adopting cultural mannerisms

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
What mannerisms have you adopted over the years because of experiences with different peoples, places, cultures, etc.?

These can be speech, behaviors, or body language.

When you adopted these new behaviors, were you treated differently or seen as being less authentic? How did you respond?

As a little Japanese girl, I used to auto bow when meeting people...

Americans found it adorable.

I don't know when I stopped doing it automatically
I still do it when I meet Japanese people though.

I am half Ghanian, and I used to never use my left hand alone to do anything, but when I got into signing, I started using my left hand more to do things (I just don't do it around relatives)

I used to not look adults in the eye, because it's considered rude, but I was then told by my teacher that it's rude to not look someone in the eye while speaking. That was confusing for a while.

I used to hang out with the British sport car guys all the time and so little phrases would pop into everyday vocabulary without us even thinking much about it. Frankly, some of the terms were pretty much spot on...........and we were geeks!!

However, I have lived in Texas for 42 years and I have never adopted any of the more distinct local customs here....except maybe saying "y'all", but only because there is at least some thread of gramatical justification for the term.

However, I have lived in Texas for 42 years and I have never adopted any of the more distinct local customs here....except maybe saying "y'all", but only because there is at least some thread of gramatical justification for the term.

East Texan accents are adorable!

I used to say "You plural" because I didn't like saying y'all. It just doesn't feel natural to me. But then I thought... "you plural" probably SOUNDED unnatural.

Kinda just sucked it up and started saying y'all just because everyone else does...

What did I learn? speaking redneck is kinda fun.

[MENTION=2873]SouloftheLaurel[/MENTION];
I am half Ghanian, and I used to never use my left hand alone to do anything, but when I got into signing, I started using my left hand more to do things (I just don't do it around relatives)
My friend's boyfriend is from Ghana. I didn't know this about using the left hand. Is it considered rude? Do you address your elders as auntie or uncle regardless of rather they're related to you? My friend is teaching her daughter to this. She is such a precious little girl. I love being addressed as auntie by her.

@SouloftheLaurel;
My friend's boyfriend is from Ghana. I didn't know this about using the left hand. Is it considered rude? Do you address your elders as auntie or uncle regardless of rather they're related to you? My friend is teaching her daughter to this. She is such a precious little girl. I love being addressed as auntie by her.
Yes, it is considered rude. And yes I do address my elders that way (family friends at least)

I have quite a bit of "nieces and nephews"

I use slang ever since I was introduced to black people culture.

Why is it considered rude?
Have you ever visited your relatives in Ghana?
I'm not 100% certain why to be honest, but the people I encountered there, didn't like me doing anything left-handed. (I should look into that)

I go for the summer every 3-5 years to visit family and know the language very well.

I might be going this summer :)

If you find out, I would like to know. I'll ask my friends too. That's cool that you know the language. My girlfriend has learned to make a lot of Ghanaian dishes. They are so scrumptious. I love peanut butter soup.

If you find out, I would like to know. I'll ask my friends too. That's cool that you know the language. My girlfriend has learned to make a lot of Ghanaian dishes. They are so scrumptious. I love peanut butter soup.
Will do.

Peanut butter soup was an aqcuired taste for me, but I love, Love, LOVE
Jaloff.

I think it was about some middle eastern country rather than Ghana, but I heard that there it is considered rude to use one's left hand because traditionally the left hand was used to wipe one's bottom, before the advent of toilet paper. It could be hard to be sure that the hand was cleaned well enough, so its use around others was considered unsanitary.

What mannerisms have you adopted over the years because of experiences with different peoples, places, cultures, etc.?

These can be speech, behaviors, or body language.

When you adopted these new behaviors, were you treated differently or seen as being less authentic? How did you respond?

Moving to the south has been a huge change for me.

Not only do I supposedly have an accent but I have learned to bite my tongue. I've always been pretty outspoken for an introvert and I have found my sick sense of humor and sometimes vulgarness is quite offensive to southerners. I also don't curse as much as I used to.

I feel like a total phony and can't really be myself in certain situations and its kinda taken a toll on me.

I have adopted so many cultural mannerisms that i have a different mannerism i present depending on the company i am with. With my mongolian family; i am more courteous and indirect as my culture dictates it. Then when i am around my cousins who is married to Russian man and when i hang out with them i adopt more eastern asian flair.

Then hanging with my peeps; i have adopted a afro-cuban urban language and mannerisms or otherwise known as slang.lol
But when i am working or going to school i am the typical good asian student along with the mannerisms.

and after hanging out with some brooklyn Italian and Hispanic people i also picked up mannerisms.

(im not sure if i am answering the question correctly:m075:)

Reactions: Gaze