A life forever?

Spiritual Leo

On Holiday
Apr 14, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Thinker
If you had the opportunity to live forever on earth, would you?

Personally, I would like to live a long life, but I am unsure if I would want to live forever because life might eventually lose its mystery if you lived forever; and I would never want life to lose its mystery.

If there was a possibility to know absolutely everything, would you really want to? If you knew everything, then there would be nothing more to learn and life would lose its mystery, so what's good in that? Isn't it the researching part that fulfills you more? Traveling up the moutain of curiosity and eventually discovering what you wanted is much more meaningful than just having it handed to you, in my view. Do we as human-beings benefit from having limited knowlege? I mean, it does make life much more mysterious right? Admitting that you don't know is better than thinking that you know it all~

Is Reality nothing more than the subjective thought that you created about the world, yourself, and your life experiences?

Last edited:
No, but I wish I could get a do-over of my teen years sometimes.

There is no way to ever know everything....can't happen. No matter what we know there will always be other mysteries beyond our grasp, nevermind that knowing itself has many dimensions. We can know some things though, at least in part. Reality can be heavily influenced by our subjectivity primarily because we see may only certain refractions....but ultimately Reality is not subjective.

When I think about living forever, I think about the direction in which the world is headed and I am assuming it's not a good one. I wonder if I lived forever if I'd have to endure all kinds of suffering. I suppose the knowledge of knowing that I was going to live forever would carry me through and because of that I might live my life more freely and openly than I do knowing that I am going to die. Seems a bit backwards, doesn't it? That being said, I don't think I'd want to live forever.

I don't think it's possible for someone to know everything. They may be able gain a lot of knowledge about things but it will always be from their own limited perspective. Perhaps if a person lived forever they would learn how they coped with different circumstances in different times but they wouldn't know how it was for other people. They'd only know what they could observe. I don't see much point in continuously accumulating knowledge and acting as a human store house for information if there's no practical use for that knowledge. So, for myself, I don't have a lot of interest in having knowledge just handed to me. I'd rather discover it on my own so I can keep what is necessary and discard the rest.

No.

I've thought about it. There's one quote that's always called out to me when it comes to the topic of death.

"For the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."

Death is as appealing to my mind as life is. Maybe even more appealing.
I am old; and I am tired.

There is no way to ever know everything....can't happen. No matter what we know there will always be other mysteries beyond our grasp, nevermind that knowing itself has many dimensions. We can know some things though, at least in part. Reality can be heavily influenced by our subjectivity primarily because we see may only certain refractions....but ultimately Reality is not subjective.

Interesting... maybe not subjective, but still something no living thing can grasp in its entirety? Every living thing has a perspective-- is inherently limited. Who but the Architect can grasp reality in its entirety?

Not a chance in hell.

Nope. . .I want to go and come back . . .maybe get it right eventually. .

They may be able gain a lot of knowledge about things but it will always be from their own limited perspective. Perhaps if a person lived forever they would learn how they coped with different circumstances in different times but they wouldn't know how it was for other people. They'd only know what they could observe. I don't see much point in continuously accumulating knowledge and acting as a human store house for information if there's no practical use for that knowledge. So, for myself, I don't have a lot of interest in having knowledge just handed to me. I'd rather discover it on my own so I can keep what is necessary and discard the rest.

I guess I'd be the odd one out, I think I'd enjoy the accumulation of knowledge (until I went crazy anyway)... I also think that knowledge comes from experience and trying to see other perspectives, in other words, knowledge isn't just knowledge (it can contain a limited understanding of someone else experiences). Even if I can't entirely understand what someone else perceives, I really do enjoy taking in and pondering different perspectives. I am young though, so I'm sure this is subject to change... I know I'd try to change things, even if it's impossible... and even if I couldn't, I'd be happy to keep hope alive (for humanity).

Reactions: 894tt3h9
Unless my family and any future family is included in this then, no. I wouldn't want to outlive generations of my own family!

I would choose to live forever not out of fear of death but in order to be more help to others. With age comes wisdom (as long as the mind is open) and I would use that to help a great many people through troublesome times. I could stand knowing that I will outlive all those close to me if I know that I can do more good for humanity.

Reactions: endersgone
No. The finality of death is something I am actually looking forward to one day.

No, but I wish I could get a do-over of my teen years sometimes.

I would have so much sex with people I wouldn't even remotely know.

If you had the opportunity to live forever on earth, would you?
It's very unlikely that the earth itself will be there forever, so no.

I however wouldn't mind dying for a while, and once I get bored from being dead come back with a new life.

... I wonder if I lived forever if I'd have to endure all kinds of suffering. I suppose the knowledge of knowing that I was going to live forever would carry me through and because of that I might live my life more freely and openly than I do knowing that I am going to die. Seems a bit backwards, doesn't it? That being said, I don't think I'd want to live forever.

I don't think it's possible for someone to know everything. They may be able gain a lot of knowledge about things but it will always be from their own limited perspective. Perhaps if a person lived forever they would learn how they coped with different circumstances in different times but they wouldn't know how it was for other people. They'd only know what they could observe. I don't see much point in continuously accumulating knowledge and acting as a human store house for information if there's no practical use for that knowledge. So, for myself, I don't have a lot of interest in having knowledge just handed to me. I'd rather discover it on my own so I can keep what is necessary and discard the rest.

this, pretty much

I've thought about it. There's one quote that's always called out to me when it comes to the topic of death.

"For the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."

Death is as appealing to my mind as life is. Maybe even more appealing.

this also

I am old; and I am tired.

UR 20

And you're 17 :p

20 years can feel like an awfully long time. It's more than what most life-forms get. If I died today, I'd be more than satisfied with the time I've been allotted. Idk. I just feel like an old man sometimes; it's like an old soul thing.

Forever, I suppose not. I wouldn't mind 80 years, though.