7 billion people in the world

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
thoughts . . .

Various '7 billionth' babies celebrated worldwide
MANILA, Philippines (AP) — She came into the world at two minutes before midnight, a tiny, wrinkled girl born into a struggling Manila family. On Monday, she became a symbol of the world's population reaching 7 billion people and all the worries that entails for the planet's future.

Danica May Camacho, born in a crowded public hospital, was welcomed with a chocolate cake marked "7B Philippines" and a gift certificate for free shoes. There were bursts of photographers' flashes, and speeches by local officials.

The celebrations, though, reflected symbolism more than demography.

Amid the millions of births and deaths around the world each day, it is impossible to pinpoint the arrival of the globe's 7 billionth occupant. But the U.N. chose Monday to mark the day with a string of festivities worldwide, and a series of symbolic 7-billionth babies being born.

Danica was the first, arriving at Manila's Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital at two minutes before midnight Sunday — but doctors say that was close enough to count for a Monday birthday.
"She looks so lovely," the mother, Camille Galura, whispered as she cradled the 2.5-kilo (5.5-pound) baby, who was born about a month premature.

The baby was the second for Galura and her partner, Florante Camacho, a driver who supports the family on a tiny salary driving a 'jeepney,' ubiquitous four-wheel drive vehicles used by many poor and working-class Filipinos.

Dr. Eric Tayag of the Philippines' Department of Health said later that the birth came with a warning.

"Seven billion is a number we should think about deeply," he said.

"We should really focus on the question of whether there will be food, clean water, shelter, education and a decent life for every child," he said. "If the answer is 'no,' it would be better for people to look at easing this population explosion."

In the Philippines, much of the population question revolves around birth control. The government backs a program that includes artificial birth control. The powerful Roman Catholic church, though, vehemently opposes contraception.

Camacho, a Catholic like her husband, said she was aware of the church's position but had decided to begin using a birth control device.

"The number of homeless children I see on the streets keeps multiplying," Camacho said. "When I see them, I'm bothered because I eat and maybe they don't."

http://news.yahoo.com/various-7-billionth-babies-celebrated-worldwide-064439018.html

i strongly believe that humans will be extinct in the near future

it's going to be an interesting ride

it is scary what overpopulation is doing to the planet. if only people would stop multiplying.

[video=youtube;YkgDhDa4HHo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkgDhDa4HHo[/video]

ABORTION IS GREEN, says Doug Stanhope.

I think the instinct to procreate, not just have sex, is too strong for this to end without suffering on a vast scale. There is currently a distribution problem, we COULD feed everyone in existence now if that was solved... but I honestly think that would end up accelerating things more. We need to find a way to expand to other planets and stars... it's our destiny... but, I don't think that's going to happen in time to avoid large scale suffering... I hope we do, it's so sad for me sometimes to think that we're so capable of rational thought in one capacity but when we add up all the bits an pieces we're collectively at the whim of instincts that were designed to survive and procreate at all costs and we seem to be walking over the cliff while we analyse and talk about it all the way.

time for me to continue putting sewing needles through condom boxes at walmart.

8 BILLION OR BUST

also im naming my first kid "billeeesha" in honor of her being the 8 billionth kid.

Reactions: subwayrider and acd
I feel like this is the pinnacle of human population for the most part. I think that once things like world hunger and women's rights are starting to be solved in places that are applicable, we'll see the population start to decline. Remember, the baby boomers are starting to retire now.

The problem with a decreasing population is that there are less and less young people that are able to support the older ones that no longer are producing.

So in other words...lets keep riding this tech boom for the rest of human existence.

Reactions: Gaze
I think being human is overrated. I think I might have been pretty happy as, say, a bald eagle or something. Maybe a dolphin.

Reactions: barbad0s and acd
I have a solution, and don't just shoot it down this time guys,

World War Three

Reactions: 894tt3h9
it is scary what overpopulation is doing to the planet. if only people would stop multiplying.

ABORTION IS GREEN, says Doug Stanhope.

As much as I love Doug Stanhope his whole rant here really rests on developed nations multiplying like crazy, which is completely untrue. Most developed nations have slowed down their birth rate to a crawl and some are even making a negative (or positive, depending on your outlook of things) impact on their population via birth rates.

The problem is developing nations. Those that are developed enough to keep their people from dying, but aren't developed enough to tell their people to stop fucking. Fortunately this will change as they develop more and their population would stabilise.

This really isn't doomsday people, there's still plenty of space to go around. Considering that 20 years ago they predicted that we'd have already reached around 12 billion by now, I think we're doing pretty well.

That's my country and it's sad how some organization or I think the government..I don't really know... gave that baby like a life scholarship whatever. I mean it's fine and it's good but I think that other babies deserve proper education too. I don't get why they have to give the "7 billion baby package" or whatever it's called just because she's the 7 billionth person.

I have a solution, and don't just shoot it down this time guys,

World War Three

Most modern wars are strategically fought and Hitler is gone. If nuclear sites are targeted and the owners of such start destroying population centers in other countries, it could get nasty. We could be closer to the threshhold of another war than most think. November 8 may be a very descriptive date to look forward to.

Most modern wars are strategically fought and Hitler is gone. If nuclear sites are targeted and the owners of such start destroying population centers in other countries, it could get nasty. We could be closer to the threshhold of another war than most think. November 8 may be a very descriptive date to look forward to.

I thought that was the point?

I think being human is overrated. I think I might have been pretty happy as, say, a bald eagle or something. Maybe a dolphin.

So they can keep you locked in a cage by humans themselves? You never know :D

I thought that was the point?

It seems many wars are only about the removal of certain elements undesireable to the rest of the world. They are not really initiated to get nasty; rather, to rid the world of something that "could" get nasty. Nobody in their right mind would want a modern war that would really get nasty. Then again, there are those out there that act like they are not of sound mind. "Nasty" may mean something entirely different to me than to others, too.

Centuries of wars have not produced the nastiness one war could produce today, leaving an environment that may not heal in generations. War has an entirely new meaning to it nowadays: at least to me. We must be careful.

Overpopulation is the #1 cause to every environmental issue we face.

Animals do not naturally produce more than their environment can provide for. Shelter, food and water are the limiting factors when it comes to species' propagation. We're created an artificial cushion for our species once we struck and took advantage of oil and other natural resources.

It runs our agriculture, controls our economy and dictates how far and where people move, live and work. Without fossil fuels we'll be back to horse and wagons.

Once those resources run out, we'll go right back to more sustainable numbers. I'm not saying it will be pretty, or painless but it's inevitable.

So they can keep you locked in a cage by humans themselves? You never know :D

Hey sir, humans are stuck in cages, too-- metaphorically speaking, and otherwise. Think about it.

Overpopulation is the #1 cause to every environmental issue we face.

Animals do not naturally produce more than their environment can provide for. Shelter, food and water are the limiting factors when it comes to species' propagation. We're created an artificial cushion for our species once we struck and took advantage of oil and other natural resources.

It runs our agriculture, controls our economy and dictates how far and where people move, live and work. Without fossil fuels we'll be back to horse and wagons.

Once those resources run out, we'll go right back to more sustainable numbers. I'm not saying it will be pretty, or painless but it's inevitable.

we are animals and we came from and are part of nature. everything we do is just as natural as everything else that occurs in nature, no matter how "different" or "special" we humans seem to one another.

we are animals and we came from and are part of nature. everything we do is just as natural as everything else that occurs in nature, no matter how "different" or "special" we humans seem to one another.

You should consider this:

[video=youtube;rpKphB4w9ME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpKphB4w9ME[/video]

Last edited: