4w3 enneagram | INFJ Forum

4w3 enneagram

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
Any 4w3's?
I don't know much about this type at all, so I apologize for not being able to provide a reliable description, but for anyone who thinks they may identify with a 4 wing 3, what led you to the conclusion?
Everyone else please feel free to chime in, regardless of enneagram association. :)

Thank you, Cedar! :)

I should clarify that I'm not fully unfamiliar with the type, as I suspect I may identify with it myself. I just don't feel sufficiently well-versed to vouch for any information I may post, but I'll share some links in a little bit.

Maybe you'll like this description I found on another forum ( http://personalitycafe.com/type-4-forum-individualist/39234-enneatype-4-wings.html <---the link has one of 4 with 5 wing too)

inspired originality
self-aware intuition
subtle humanity

symbolic drama
withdrawn melancholy
self-indulgent disdain

desolate confusion
guilt-ridden torment
suicidal despair

Type four people care more than most about the emotional significance of events. They can become trapped by a sense of the meaninglessness of their own life, and of the world. One of their talents is an intuitive connection to the source of beauty.

Except in rare cases, people of type four show a flavoring from one of the two adjacent wing points, so we can say they are four with a three wing (4/3) or four with a five wing (4/5).

Like all humans, fours also come in three instinctual flavors: social (4sc), sexual (4sx), or self-preserving (4sp). In addition, fours also experience nine distinct levels of mental-emotional health (briefly described by the phrases at the top of this page). Therefore, it is possible to distinguish fifty-four distinct subflavors of type four.

four with three wing

general description

Average 4/3 is emotionally spicy. Because of the conflict between the three-wing's desire to be in the spotlight and the four's self-conscious fear of exposure, they may alternate between extremes of extroversion and introversion. Unlike the cooler 3/4s, 4/3s may find it difficult (if not impossible) to stay calm when emotions come up. They are more likely to talk about their overwhelming feelings than the much more rational, analytical, withdrawn 4/5s.

balanced and transcendent states

Balanced 4/3 finds the peace of equanimity. When four integrates to one and three integrates to six, deep compassionate wisdom is augmented by a feeling of brotherhood and belonging. Finally, the 4/3 reaches a point where comfort is possible without being tormented by a desire that others recognize that special uniqueness. Others who are feeling emotional difficulty can find sensitive, unselfish understanding in a balanced 4/3.

When 4/3 becomes deeply self-aware, there is a feeling of tremendous emotional integrity. Others feel that they are genuinely being heard, but not judged in any way. Somehow the advanced 4/3 manages to be both an equal and a teacher, both a sympathetic listener and a disciplined advisor. Real transformations happen in the lives of those who tell their stories to such people. People become powerfully motivated to find the real meaning in their lives.

unbalanced and unhealthy states

Unbalanced 4/3 swings through wild emotional cycles. As fourish emotionality gets more out of control, bringing in the selfish expectations of special treatment of the unhealthy two, the three-wing's nineish tendencies cause a kind of split within the psyche. The more intensely the dramatized pseudo-emotions are felt, the less in touch the 4/3 becomes with the real, honest feelings that lie underneath. The dramatic emotions become more and more staged and false.

In the unhealthy extreme, there is little actual contact with real feelings, despite the possibly awe-inspiring intensity of the outward expression. All the theatrical emotionality is a fearful cover for an inner emptiness that will not go away. Extremely unbalanced 4/3 has become so attached to the outward expression of the false emotions that the real feelings are overwhelmed and drowned out. The conviction of being hopelessly flawed may lead to desperate attempts to end it all with suicide, almost always in some dramatic, attention-grabbing way. I'm a hopeless romantic, unable to live a normal life. I might as well end it all right now, because no one will ever understand my torment. At least then, others might see the depth of my pain.

physical appearance

4/3 is the type most interested in a really artful, tastefully unique presentation. They often like to combine black and bright colors. 4/3s are usually thin to medium in build, although there are some exceptions. The females often wear their hair in some way that gives it a lot of body, such as shoulder-length (or longer) curls. Both sexes like to dress up. Some of the most outrageous costumes ever seen in ordinary public places are on 4/3s (the rest are on sevens).

callings

Some 4/3s find work that brings out their interest in aesthetics and artistic expression. Novelists, musicians, painters, poets, actors, dancers. Graphic designers, fashion consultants, interior designers, restaurant managers. Others express themselves more privately, outside of work, becoming secretaries, middle-managers, retail salespeople. There are 4/3 career advisors, guidance counsellors and psychologists. Of course, 4/3s can also be found doing many other kinds of work.
It's odd... I honestly think I was much more like a 4w5 as I was growing up, and in a more recent decade much more like a 4w3. ??? I don't know how that is. I can recognize myself in both descriptions but would say my twenties I was more 4w3 like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh here's a link to a very revealing thread about 4w3s. I'm not wanting to post this because I feel like it's a bit embarrassing as there are alot of things I relate to that I don't like about myself...but I personally found this a very helpful thread so I guess I'm just gonna have to suck it up <--- that being the INFJ 4w3 combo right there. :m158:"God that's so embarrassing...hide!!! People will think I'm as ass." "Well you can be an ass, so own it sissy. It's your personality" :m047:"Besides...It could be informative and helpful for people. It could help someone".:m163:
:m181:
... Well anyway:
http://personalitycafe.com/type-4-forum-individualist/109241-you-know-you-4w3-when-3.html
:m024:
(I have a lot of talking monkeys in my head...)

I'm a 4w3 too, if that doesnt terrify you >.>

Oh here's a link to a very revealing thread about 4w3s. I'm not wanting to post this because I feel like it's a bit embarrassing as there are alot of things I relate to that I don't like about myself...but I personally found this a very helpful thread so I guess I'm just gonna have to suck it up <--- that being the INFJ 4w3 combo right there. :m158:"God that's so embarrassing...hide!!! People will think I'm as ass." "Well you can be an ass, so own it sissy. It's your personality" :m047:"Besides...It could be informative and helpful for people. It could help someone".:m163:
:m181:
... Well anyway:
http://personalitycafe.com/type-4-forum-individualist/109241-you-know-you-4w3-when-3.html
:m024:
(I have a lot of talking monkeys in my head...)

That's okay, none of us is without our own brand of particularities. :)
And 4w3's can be as well developed as any other type. There are higher and lower order qualities to any type or category of people.
Thank you for deciding to share. :)