11 Most Introverted Countries In The World

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
11 Of The Most Introverted Countries In The World
http://lonerwolf.com/most-introverted-countries-in-the-world/

The following list is ordered alphabetically, and provides useful information on each introvert-friendly country for your disposal. Enjoy!

Austria

Photo by: Peperoni

Population: 8,414,638 (2011 Census).

Official Language: German.

Capital: Vienna.

Cool Attractions: Melk Abbey, Vienna State Opera, Hohensalzburg Castle, Hofburg Imperial Palace, Innsbruck Altstadt, Schönbrunn Palace.

What people say: “I’ve been to Austria a few times, beautiful country, introverted yes, friendly, not so much.” (city-data.com)

Belgium

Photo by: Antonio Ponte

Population: 11,035,948 (2012 Census).

Official Language: Dutch, French, German.

Capital: Brussels.

Cool Attractions: Antwerp, Bruges, Ghent, Liege, Spa, Namur, Mechelen, Hasselt, Dinant.

What people say: “Of the nineteen or so countries I visited, perhaps the most profound experience was in the Flanders region of Belgium. It was here I embraced the knowledge of how special it was to live as an introvert.”(nancyfenn.wordpress.com)

Czech Republic

Photo by: Sina

Population: 10,436,560 (2011 Census).

Official Language: Czech.

Capital: Prague.

Cool Attractions: Prague Castle, Terezin, Concentration Camp, Cesky Krumlor, Konopiste Chateau, Karlovyvary.

What people say: “In the USA I can get along, though too much “people time” makes me tired and edgy. Here in Prague, though, my introvert nature can breathe an expand, as this is an introvert nation”. (praguepies.blogspot.com.au)

Denmark

Photo by: Nelson L.

Population: 5,602,536 (2013 Estimate).

Official Language: Danish.

Capital: Copenhagen.

Cool Attractions: Tivoli Gardens, Legoland Billund, Tycho Brake Planetarium, Rosenborg Castle, The Little Mermaid.

What people say: “(The Danish) are just not easy to know on a closer level. I would say they are more private and keep to those they know well.” (portal.foreignersindenmark.dk)

Estonia

Photo by: Neil Howard

Population: 1,294,455 (2011 Census).

Official Language: Estonian.

Capital: Tallinn.

Cool Attractions: Tallinn Zoo, Lahemaa National Park, Tartu, Parnu, Rouge, St. Mary’s Cathedral.

What people say: “On average, Estonians are introverted and they do not show much emotion”. (www.photologix.nl)

Finland

Photo by: Antii Merivirta

Population: 5,421,827 (2012 Estimate).

Official Language: Finnish, Swedish.

Capital: Helsinki.

Cool Attractions: Fortress of Suomenlinna, Power Park, Lapland, Rauma, Helsinki Cathedral, Mekaanisen Musiik in Museo.

What people say: “Put two Finns in an elevator. Neither of them says a word and they don’t feel uneasy at all. There is mutual understanding between them that they didn’t have to start small talk”. (www.wrongplanet.net)

Iceland

Photo by: Moyan Brenn

Population: 321,857 (2013 Estimate).

Official Language: Icelandic.

Capital: Reykjavik.

Cool Attractions: Gullfloss Waterfall, The Blue Lagoon, Geysir Hot Springs, Vatnajokull National Park, Lake Myvatn.

What people say: Iceland has a whole section of a social networking site dedicated to Icelandic introverts and shy singles. Enough said.

Japan

Photo by: Alejandro

Population: 128,056,026 (2010 Census).

Official Language: Japanese.

Capital: Tokyo.

Cool Attractions: Mount Fuji, Great Buddha of Kamakura, Golden Pavilion, Disneyland, Imperial Palace, Hiroshima, Universal Studios.

What people say: “But at some point it hit me: I’m an introvert and Japan is a country that rewards introverted behaviour. Suddenly I knew why I never felt very comfortable in the US, where extroverted behaviour is praised … I have often said that if I were going to design my own country, it would resemble Japan”. (bungotaketa.wordpress.com)

Latvia

Photo by: Graham

Population: 2,970,371 (2011 Census).

Official Language: Latvian.

Capital: Riga.

Cool Attractions: Siguida Castle, Venta Waterfall, Pedvale Open-Air Museum, Aglona Basilica, Rundale Palace and Museum.

What people say: “… people here are introvert(ed) and communicate inside their close circle of friends”. (integration.lv)

Sweden

Photo by: Claudio.Ar

Population: 9,555,893 (2012 Census).

Official Language: Swedish.

Capital: Stockholm.

Cool Attractions: Liseberg Funpark, Slottet Castle, Carl Larsson-Garden, Foteville Viking Reserve, Domkyrkan Cathedral, ABBA:The Museum.

What people say: “... social relationships are particularly problematic among Swedes. This may manifest itself as communication apprehension, reservedness, desire for social autonomy, positive attitudes towards loneliness, and strict boundaries between private and public life“. (www.nordicway.com)

Switzerland

Photo by: Francisco Antunes

Population: 7,954,700 (2011 Census).

Official Language: German, French, Italian, Romansh.

Capital: Bern.

Cool Attractions: Lake Geneva, Swiss Alps, Maison Cailler Chocolate Factory, Zurich, Interlaken, Lucerne.

What people say: “Switzerland’s type is much more introverted, inward, private. Few Swiss, for example, entertain others in their homes. Where an introvert in America is the “odd man out”, in Switzerland the introvert is the norm“. (jungiancenter.org)

You may also like to check out Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Mongolia, South Korea, Luxembourg, Germany and China as potential introvert-friendly cultures. Also, if you have any suggestions, or positive and negative experiences while travelling to any of these countries, please feel free to share below!

Reactions: flower and Asa
All my favorite places make the list. :)

Japan

Photo by: Alejandro

Population: 128,056,026 (2010 Census).

Official Language: Japanese.

Capital: Tokyo.

Cool Attractions: Mount Fuji, Great Buddha of Kamakura, Golden Pavilion, Disneyland, Imperial Palace, Hiroshima, Universal Studios.

What people say: “But at some point it hit me: I’m an introvert and Japan is a country that rewards introverted behaviour. Suddenly I knew why I never felt very comfortable in the US, where extroverted behaviour is praised … I have often said that if I were going to design my own country, it would resemble Japan”. (bungotaketa.wordpress.com)

You may also like to check out Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Mongolia, South Korea, Luxembourg, Germany and China as potential introvert-friendly cultures. Also, if you have any suggestions, or positive and negative experiences while travelling to any of these countries, please feel free to share below!

Having lived for half a year in Japan, I agree with that statement wholeheartedly. I also visited South Korea and that was also a pleasant country for an introvert to visit, even though the people are more direct than the people in Japan. I also see Belgium made it on the list. I've been there many times as I live near the country, and I've always experienced it as a nice country with friendly people. I like Germany as well. :)

Out of the other countries that made it on the list I've always wanted to visit Sweden, Austria and Switzerland.

Reactions: flower
Haha, I'm not surprised that Finland is in the list. People value and respect each other's personal space here and enjoy own peace/solitude. As a lonely person though... It's really hard to make new friends here. I want to visit all those other countries too, only been in Sweden and Estonia from that list. Switzerland's nature is breathtaking! Need to see that with own eyes. I'm surprised that Norway isn't in that list, I assume it's very introverted country also.

There's also this one saying and it seems like Susan Cain knows it too. :p

quote-finland-is-a-famously-introverted-nation-finnish-joke-how-can-you-tell-if-a-finn-likes-susan-cain-50-26-72.jpg

Last edited: