“Over”thinking | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

“Over”thinking

I can’t count how many times I have told that I overthink. I find this to be used pejoratively to stymie the time I spend on thinking. Just because you do not spend as much time thinking about something, it doesn’t follow that I am “over” thinking. From my perspective, it is just thinking.

I find it interesting that these uninvited assessments from others almost always come from individuals who don’t seem to think very deeply in general. It is as if they are the embodiment of the Nike mantra recited by walking zombies in Night of the Living Braindead.

What are your thoughts on the word overthinking and how it is used? Do you see the word being used in a negative or neutral way?
Our society values material utility, over many forms of value which INFJ's deeply consider in most all processes. There is a reasonable limit on detail in some instances, such as a business environment. Most business schools train their students to become decisive in the face of limited information. Thus, vanishing returns from indecisiveness are feared. Consider the fact that there are endless back stabbers in the business world waiting for an opportunity for you to take too much time, and ambush you accordingly, often in a public meeting setting to optimize the damage to you personally. I abhor these people and this expedient, unethical standard, and yes, it is a standard, sadly in America.

That said, I love detail. I love strategic thinking. I love optimizing productivity and quality, without giving in to the idea that these two objectives are inverse; I do not believe production and quality must be inverse. But in only comes true with a positive culture and metrics, which require vision, values (integrity and respect) and thinkers who deep dive on detail. And thinkers who can set up data thresholds to prompt action.

INFJ's are uniquely qualified for high level executive activity in these regards. That said, we do not fit in with the evil beasts that get there along with us. I went from for profit to non-profit thinking I will not experience these dynamics any longer, not true.

Pick your spots, do much of your thinking in advance, present as much of a finished product idea as possible. Utilize questions from peers, bosses, others in general, to introduce a variable two or three once asked. You are so right that it is maddening and the biggest protests of your thinking come from the least introspective.