INFJ vs ISFJ | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

INFJ vs ISFJ

sorry to drag up this ancient thread; but I have a question...so what does it mean when a person has only 1% S? ISFJ, VS INFJ? Almost INFJ? It's the craziest thing; someone who I have seen on and off for over 15 years; I just found out his MTBI...and it freaks me out! :m077:

sorry to drag up this ancient thread; but I have a question...so what does it mean when a person has only 1% S? ISFJ, VS INFJ? Almost INFJ? It's the craziest thing; someone who I have seen on and off for over 15 years; I just found out his MTBI...and it freaks me out! :m077:

I'm sorry I can't comment on the percentages; but do you mind me asking what freaks you out about the recent discovery?

well I've known this person for a very long time; and had no idea that we were that much alike...I guess I always thought he really didn't feel anything for me and our relationship was casual so I got out of it; but now I am finding out that he just wasnt telling me about his feelings...
When we stop seeing eachother; we have always been brought together by some weird thing; random running into each other every few years at the weirdest places, etc. We both have the exact same finger that was broken and doesnt work (bend) and looks the exact same way; and now I am finding out that we are close to if not the same personality type. lol it can make you look back on a lot of things and understand them in a whole new way.

I totally enjoyed this interchange! I recently had a conversation similar to this with my ENFP mentor. I've been going to college for over 17 years and counting. I enjoy learning. Someday I do want an actual bachelor's degree so I can show the world I am capable of helping them.

A classic interchange between an ISFJ and an INFJ mate is this:
ISFJ: You've been in college for six years now.
INFJ: Yes, and I've just found this wonderful sociology professor.
ISFJ: I thought you were majoring in anthropology.
INFJ: I am. And psychology.
ISFJ: And now sociology.
INFJ: It's just a class.
ISFJ: When are you going to finish your degree?
INFJ: I still have three freshman courses I haven't finished yet. I just hate required courses. One of them is math. I hate math.
ISFJ: When are you going to finish your degree?
INFJ: I'm thinking of changing my major.
ISFJ: Hopefully to something that will train you to do something.
INFJ: Social ecology. It's a little of this and a little of that.
ISFJ: What does a social ecologist do? Where do they work? How much do they make?
INFJ: You're a stick in the mud. I'm going to my encounter group!

I have known a number of people who score 1% S. Some of these people have been obviously more on the S side to me, and for others it has been more ambiguous. I think that's just how it is.

Reactions: rawr
sorry to drag up this ancient thread; but I have a question...so what does it mean when a person has only 1% S? ISFJ, VS INFJ? Almost INFJ?

From my knowledge of MBTI, you can't be borderline Ni/Si*, you're either Ni (introverted iNtuiting) dominant or Si (introverted Sensing).

*INFJs are Ni dominant and ISFJ are Si dominant.

I think it's important to stay positive when looking at all MB types. We've all developed a little bit of this or that ... there is such a huge bell curve. After re-reading the thread and reflecting on my life, I would say absolutely I am an ISFJ. Respect for others is something that is learned, if we all respect each other for what makes us different we can embrace the talents and contributions each person can give to society (and relationships.) It's easy to be critical of others when you cannot see past your own reflection in the window, but when you can see past that reflection ... you see how beautiful the world can be. Everyone has their own idea of how the world should revolve around them ... why not cut out the selfishness and look at how you can fit/contribute to the world instead? Most everyone is doing it, and they don't realize it. Ego is so toxic. I'd never consider myself a boring person. I might have boring moments, but I am highly entertained by others who express themselves in a light-hearted manner. I rarely pass up a chance to be silly or laugh at something.

My mom is an ISFJ and there are what I find to be many similarities between us: We are both really introverted, although we both have become more outgoing with age. We put a lot of effort into relationships(sometimes too much, according to other people). We strive for group harmony. We prefer structure and routine. Now for how we are different: Although I tolerate change, she has an extremely difficult time with it. She is extremely nostalgic. She loves family traditions; I do too, but not quite like her. She eats the same foods all the time with little to no variety. I like quite a bit more variety. I am much more imaginative and abstract in thinking and in conversation. I can lose her in conversation very easily. I'm artsy and creative, while she is admittedly not. I'm often in my own world of thoughts, while she is in her own world of comfort. I'm much more unaware of my body, while she's very in tune with hers. I'm more academic in orientation, while she is focused more on everyday affairs. I'm a bigger space cadet than she.

She was such a great mother to me during my childhood and I'll always appreciate everything she has done for me no matter how different we are. Mom, I hope you're reading this...lol.

I'm an ISFJ Mom with an INFJ adult daughter, living at home temporarily while she finishes grad school - Social Work. I have been on the receiving end of her anger and viciousness - tearing me down with hurtful attacks on me after we start arguing about something. I have never understood how she could be this way. I'm so terribly hurt by it - I'm not like that and never treated my mother that way.

Reading here about INFJ personalities has helped me understand her better and not get so offended by her words and behavior. She gets fed up with me asking her the typical, practical, ISFJ Mom questions. She stays holed up in her room for days, only coming to the kitchen to grab food to take back; rarely speaks to me or my husband. When she appears, I naturally want to hug her, see how she's doing (I'm always worried about her mental state being alone for so long, even though I enjoy my alone time too.) and she treats me like the plague, snapping at me, being rude.

She admits that she refuses to do anything that I remind her about life responsibilities, (typical ISFJ, right?) like car registration, bills, oil changes, bringing her dirty dishes and garbage down to the kitchen etc., even if she knows I'm right and the reminders are helpful. Why? Is that the tension between our personality types or just mom/daughter dynamic - especially with her having to live with us temporarily.

As an ISFJ, I'm very sensitive, want others to be happy and worry when I see what appear to me as behaviors of unhappiness. She shuts me down when I ask and/or try to help. I'm trying to back off ...walking that fine line between showing I care about her/want connection and not caring/worrying about her, giving her alone time. It's like walking on eggshells.

Suggestions for how I help create more harmony at home till she's moved out?