INFJ Anime Recommendations?

Relm

Community Member
Jul 3, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
So I figured I'd pick your brains for some recommendations. =)

Like the thread title says, I am on the lookout for more introspective, intelligent, artsy/beautifully rendered, animes, in both stand alone movie and series form.

Looking for ones that are "mature" in the sense that they are not full of squeaky pre-teen voice acting OR revolving around over the top action/violence sequences. So "mature" in that they are quieter and more subtle... (but, yes, preferably dubbed, not subtitled)

Gems I've found thus-far:

Series:

Movies:

(It also goes without saying that I LOVE any film my Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki...)

Suggestions? Favorites?

Well, I have a fairly long list of anime I enjoy for different reasons. Instead of categorizing them, though, I'll just list off whatever comes to mind first. Links lead to AE entries.
I'll admit that they're not all mature anime, but I think they're fun. For the record, I did keep anime with so-so stories off the list, otherwise it would've been twice, if not three times, as long as it is.

Also, while not an anime, fine examples of animation (at least from when I was a kid) are Beast Wars and Beast Machines. Both have excellent stories and pioneered a new animation style that hadn't been seen on mainstream television before (or since, to the best of my knowledge)

Reactions: cocobean
It's hard to say because there are few that I've found that actually have that "quiet tone" you're looking for without the blood and guts and kids.

Out of the ones not mentioned, I did like "Cowboy Beebop" as well (which has a different "feel" from the norm). "Monster (mature series, a bit beautiful, but a thriller. Not very bloody. More like a mystery). Definitely agreed with "Grave of the Fireflies".

Hmm...if I can think of more, I'll add them.

Reactions: Griffin
...blasphemy...

I've never quite understood this feeling toward dubbing... it seems like an innate feeling some fans have towards dubbed anime, regardless of the actual quality of the dub...

RahXephon might fit the bill for you. It's not to long. And it's mature, has to deal with more character development and connection rather than action.

http://www.infjs.com/forums/member.php?u=1313Some nice suggestions. Thanks guys and gals! =)

[MENTION=751]Peppermint[/MENTION] - Thanks for the list of suggestions. Haven't read about each in depth yet, but looks like you are spot-on in the tone, etc, I am seeking. I'm excited to hunt some of these down! =)

...blasphemy...
Never understood this attitude either... My reason for wanted dubbed is a practical one: my husband and I tend to watch these while we're making/eating dinner during the week. (thus I can't have my eyes glued to the screen reading the whole time!)

Could check out Wolf's Rain
Or Gungrave (Skip the first ep if you do, it's completely unnecessary and covered later in the show)

The most beautiful, and my favorite anime, was Hell Girl. Very powerful story, and basically describes the evil in the world, but the curse of holding a grudge. It is about a girl who offers relief for those suffering on Earth by giving the the chance to send the person that hurt them to hell. But in exchange, they must go to hell after they die. It was just very powerful to see how horrible people could be, and how that hatred could drive very good people to do something so painful. The Hell Girl herself is very beautiful and melancholy, and her own story unfolds throughout the series.

The soundtrack for it is worth watching, as well. :) Such strong lyrics.
[video=youtube;EC5RoSW1Fxk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5RoSW1Fxk[/video]

Like the thread title says, I am on the lookout for more introspective, intelligent, artsy/beautifully rendered, animes, in both stand alone movie and series form.

[MENTION=751]Peppermint[/MENTION] already said this, but I think Ergo Proxy hits the nail on the head.

[MENTION=4410]Niefankaz[/MENTION] - I think it is rather funny that Ergo Proxy is one of the animes my (INTJ) husband likes and has a copy of... I just found this out after recommending it to him (as it looked a little more into his territory -ie more sci-fi than fantasy) ...=P

A wind named amnesia
grave of the fireflies
sailor moon
kimagura orange road

plenty of romantic tension in those I think.

how about Puella Magi Madoka Magica? They've got SERIOUS questions regarding the nature of happiness and love and sacrifice.... I think they work best for NFs.
And it's not your ordinary magical girl either. Trust me <3
Hell Girl is good, but then I can really advocate the anime.

If you want action; Ghost In The Shell : Stand Alone Complex (both the 1st and 2nd season) are wonderful films.

If you want action; Ghost In The Shell : Stand Alone Complex (both the 1st and 2nd season) are wonderful films.

This series is amazing and reaches deep into the ISTP side of INFJ. I Highly suggest it. (I also highly suggest staying as far away as possible from the Ghost in the Shell 'movies', and sticking with the series)

[video=youtube;EIVgSuuUTwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIVgSuuUTwQ[/video]

This series is amazing and reaches deep into the ISTP side of INFJ. I Highly suggest it. (I also highly suggest staying as far away as possible from the Ghost in the Shell 'movies', and sticking with the series)

[video=youtube;EIVgSuuUTwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIVgSuuUTwQ[/video]
Yay Inner Universe!

The movies..I didn't watch it (except Innocence) but the key is that they are running separately from the anime.