Getting into Harvard University the Easy Way. | INFJ Forum

Getting into Harvard University the Easy Way.

S

Shai Gar

http://www.instructables.com/id/Get_into_Harvard_University_Without_Really_Trying/?ALLSTEPS

Step 1
Harvard University Extension School
From their website: "At Harvard Extension School, we bring Harvard academics to the public through evening and online courses, and part-time programs. You can choose from more than 600 fall and spring courses in over 65 fields."

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/

Step 2
The ALB Program
Ok, so maybe you're thinking, "great, a lot of prestigious colleges offer night classes for adults. That's not exactly the same as getting a degree from Harvard." Well, here is where I introduce you to the magic of the ALB Program.

ALB stands for Bachelors of Liberal Arts. Harvard is so important that they are allowed to write their acronyms backwards.

Let's take a look at the admissions criteria for the ALB program:
( From http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2008-09/programs/undergrad/admit/ )

Admission Criteria

To be accepted into the program, you must meet the following criteria:

Complete three 4-credit liberal arts courses with at least a B- grade.
Courses must be taken at the Extension School or Harvard Summer School. Upon admission, the 12 credits count toward the degrees.
Meet the expository writing prerequisite:
  • Complete EXPO E-25 at the Extension School with at least a C- (if you earn a B-, you may count it as one of the above three courses.
  • Or complete EXPO S-20 at the Summer School with at least a B-.

Have a 2.5 cumulative grade point average and a 2.5 GPA during the previous term at Harvard.
Be in good academic and financial standing with Harvard University, with no disciplinary or administrative procedures pending.

English Proficiency
If your native language is not English and you did not attend a high school for four years with English-language instruction (see below), you must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and earn at least one of the following scores:
  • 250 on the computer-based test and 5 on the essay
  • 600 on the paper-based test and 5 on the Test of Written English
  • 100 on the Internet-based test.

Step 3
Let the Admission Requirements Sink In
  1. Complete 3 courses through Harvard Extension with a B- or better
  2. Don't owe Harvard money
  3. Pass a writing requirement
  4. Speak english.

Step 4
Is the Harvard Extension Bachelors Degree Really A Harvard Degree?
In short, yes.
  • -Harvard Extension is one of the 13 schools that make up Harvard University, the same as Harvard Law, Harvard College, Harvard Business, Harvard Divinity, etc.
  • -One is able to complete an ABL degree taking mostly courses in the curriculum of students in Harvard College, doing exactly the same coursework as Harvard College students.
  • -ABL students have access to Harvard libraries and other campus resources.
  • -ABL students are able to join clubs and activities exclusive to the Harvard community.
  • -ABL students are able to do research under a professor at Harvard.
  • -Access to the Bureau of Study Counsel (BSC) and Office of Career Services (OCS).
  • -Can purchase an athletic privileges
  • -Most importantly: graduates become full members of the Harvard Alumni Association.
  • -Graduation is held at the same event with all the other Harvard schools

See: http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2008-09/programs/undergrad/help/

Step 5
Differences from Harvard College
  • -Your degree says ALB (Bachelors of Liberal Arts) instead of AB (Bachelors of Arts)
  • -Your degree comes from Harvard Extension instead of Harvard College
  • -Some of the requirements are not the same as graduating from Harvard College.
  • -Harvard Extension is a lot cheaper (~roughly half the cost of Harvard College or less?)
  • -Extension students do not live in Harvard dorms.

Step 6
Hey, I'm not getting all the prestige of Harvard College!
Boo hoo! Look, buster, if your dream was to go to Harvard, and you got rejected, maybe you should just live with the fact that you can settle for a Bachelors of Liberal Arts from Harvard University at half the price of a Bachelors of Arts.

It's not like anyone is really going to even notice the difference on your diploma anyway, due to it being written in Latin!
F8Z9Y47FOWZOBW9.MEDIUM.jpg

Step 7
But wait, there's more!
Just when you thought the deal couldn't get any sweeter:

Already completed coursework from other college? Great, you can transfer the credit to Harvard Extension.

Already completed coursework at Harvard Extension, and decided that you don't like it? Great, now you have proven that you can satisfactorily complete Harvard level coursework, and it is easy to transfer those credits to the college of your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could write a kickass, passionate essay. I knew a guy who got in writing about the joys of fishing. Yes. Fishing.

While I've no intention of completing a liberal arts degree, the extension school has quite a good selection of courses available via distance education.

After browsing their selection for an hour and a half, and parting with US$850 (there's a sneaky $US50 registration fee), I'm enrolled in an online French course for the spring semester.

The internet is evil - "shopping" for courses online is made way too easy!

I wonder if I can do it from Australia. There are some courses there I'd like to do.

As long as you are the state champion at something, you can almost write your ticket to a school like Harvard. I have heard of state champions of the oboe get in (because they played the oboe that well). You'd be surprised what kind of niches that Ivy schools are looking to fill. They are prestigious, so they can make their own criteria as they go along (nothing against Ivy schools, but they do that).

As long as you have money you can get in anywhere.

As long as you are the state champion at something, you can almost write your ticket to a school like Harvard. I have heard of state champions of the oboe get in (because they played the oboe that well). You'd be surprised what kind of niches that Ivy schools are looking to fill. They are prestigious, so they can make their own criteria as they go along (nothing against Ivy schools, but they do that).

Oh, also, good musicians getting in isn't unusual at all. Good musicians can get in with relatively worse grades at pretty much any college in the country, at least as long as they audition for a music degree.