Approximate percentages of MBTI per population | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

Approximate percentages of MBTI per population

These percentages are stupid. Compare them to Keirsey and they're all different. I would like some standardized ones please. gracias

I try to stay away from being stereotypical, but I have noticed a certain amount of concentration of types among specific populations. For example, in my art club / anime I found a lot of INFP's/ENFP's which I could easily type. Then I went outside that circle, and noticed that my friends that were into sports were usually SP's. The Facebook tool confirmed a lot of this suspicions. So in the end, although not necessarily an indicative of type, certain activities would suggest ideas about our personality.

I have incredible S envy:
I'm heavily aesthetic and would love to have time and single minded inclination to dedicate lots of effort to prettying up everything around me and prim and decorate myself with some great pieces of clothing, BUT then I get the old "Is that really essential to existence? You should dedicate your efforts to your chosen pursuit? It's just material things...(weep weep...but I like PRETTY!!!)"
I feel often times that I got the sour end of the stick. My ESFP friends have spontaneous fun and pretty things, my ISFP friends are much more constantly productive. I procrastinate to no end and feel much more internally conflicted...I need to also have a crisis about social and spiritual implications of things constantly..
I also can't seem to get anything I care about done in good conscience before every boring mundane practical thing is done very unlike my ENTP husband who'll just dissapear somewhere to do his thing and leaves a pile of dishes, and laundry and things behind... I absolutely hate organizing papers and cleaning...I develop great systems for doing the necessary evils but they pain me to no end...that's that for the INFJ natural organization...does not include my physical surroundings!
If I neglect the practical side in a panic to get things done I "wake up" a few weeks later with tons of my own meaningful work done, but in a messy dump in an unhygienic state with reminder bills pouring in through the mail slot.... Ah the agony!!! The strife!!! then I read buddhist scriptures for relief...It is not the events but the desire for events to be suc and so that cause suffering... ;)

I think literary authors are far more likely to be INFJ, and because of this there are far more INFJ's characters in books than in real life, and certainly an INFJ perspective is indirectly taught. I have often wondered if an SJ who is an avid reader might experience a subtle pressure to be more N.

It is clearly the case that all real life villains are INTJ because in culture they are INTJ. Amiright?!!! YES.

I used to have a link to an article that would fit here. It suggests that the percentages of personality types reflects a general order of societal needs from its members in order for it to be stable and successful. in short, it suggests that the high number of SPs and SJs in a population reflect the need for a sensorally-inclined population to be the majority as builders and engineers of a society, while visionaries and intellectuals are the minority that serves the purpose of theorizing and philosophizing ideas that *challenge the norms of society that would be more preserved without the power of the N. in other words, personality types emerge in amounts that theoretically allow each personality type to have socioeconomic roles that reflect their preferences while still allowing the whole of society to flourish. of course is this complicated by our post-agricultural lot in life, as one would assume the personality type balance is optimum in our natural state of <150 nomadic people.*

to get back to an earlier conversation, I for one find the concept of intelligence too vague to hold much weight as a metric for comparing people, but I do believe that intuition is what is commonly referred to as intelligence, as the raw ability to pull together seemingly disparate ideas into a cohesive whole that is original to its creator. in contrast, sensing by definition is more concerned with the here and now, the physically present, and that which is known and designed, already available for manipulation and use, which does not lend itself to the analysis and discovery of untapped patterns and methods that are not known by rote.

to put it in a bit more concrete (and less offensive) terms with an example, IME sensing types are often aware of injustice as an experience, but if no one else addresses it or if they don't have a language to address it, then they won't, and are instead more likely to accept their lot in life. it's with intuition that new perspectives about life are formed, creating means for alternative perspectives that can generate a consciousness that addresses and challenges the status quo. many times I've heard sensing types laud their friends who are, in their mind able to generate fascinating and compelling perspectives on the world that the sensing types fully agree with but were unable to conceptualizing themselves, even with a similar life experience to pull from. to me this shows how the intuitive mind forms big pictures that the sensing mind can grasp and argue for or against, but cannot generate itself.

I hope that makes some sense. i'd love to talk more on concrete distinctions between intuitive and concrete capabilities and processes, as political correctness tends to keep the topic unattended. I'd hope a general belief in the dynamism and benevolence of one's fellow human as enough to allow for more awkward and problematic phrasings and ideas than what can be tolerated in IRL company.

Last edited:
INFJ Population
Total: 1%
Male: 0.5%
Female: 1.5%

Not liking this number. >_< But of course it's hard to know who is who when there are 7 billion people here. :p

Reactions: James
Well... no wonder I have a hard time connecting with people.

This statistic is somewhat depressing. I wonder what the world would be like if there were more Infjs and just more NFs in general. Bet it would a much nicer place *sniffs*

Nah, we're still human. We'd screw the world up too, but probably in a different way. Every type has its weaknesses.

The one thing that annoys me though, is how many S that fake their way into testing as an N. IT really skews the results, I feel like theres a whole bunch more S on this forum, than are making themselves known.

If this is true, I don't think it really matters as long as they're not being stupid. Although, it's a shame that people will skew their results to be something that's considered desirable for whatever reason. In the end, Myers-Brigg types are just labels... not trophies to show off.

Reactions: Littlelissa
I declare I am medium rare...as opposed to rare....
I think rarity isn't important but being objective enough to type yourself correctly.
I don't know about S types thinking they are N's, haven't really gotten such a strong vibe. I think those two functions are so different it is difficult to fudge between the two. I would propose that it is much easier to fudge between E and I. IMO, for I types, I think it is easy to see E as S.

There is this ESTJ girl at my work who is convinced she is N. She prefers the company of N to STJ.. However, she is so ESTJ it is almost scary.

Waaay too much ESTJ, me thinks. lol

I'm in a relationship with an ESTJ. Socionics pegs the ESTJ as the "Dual" (or highly compatible) for INFJ's. Not sure how you're typed shes geared towards giving me maximum growth and vice versa. I won't say it's easy but I will say that there is never a dull moment. She's also a psychiatrist (MD not Phd).

According to this website (http://www.mypersonality.info/), here are the breakdowns of MBTI (total meaning entire population. Not sure if this means world, US, or people who took the test on their site):

SJs - Protectors

ESTJ Population
Total: 13%
Male: 16%
Female: 10%

ESFJ Population
Total: 12%
Male: 7%
Female: 17%

ISTJ Population
Total: 8.5%
Male: 10.5%
Female: 6.5%

ISFJ Population
Total: 7%
Male: 4%
Female: 10%

SPs - Creators

ESTP Population
Total: 10%
Male: 12.5%
Female: 7.5%

ESFP Population
Total: 11%
Male: 8%
Female: 14%

ISTP Population
Total: 6%
Male: 8.5%
Female: 3.5%

ISFP Population
Total: 6%
Male: 5%
Female: 7%

NTs - Intellectuals

ENTJ Population
Total: 4%
Male: 5.5%
Female: 2.5%

ENTP Population
Total: 4.5%
Male: 6%
Female: 3%

INTJ Population
Total: 1.5%
Male: 2.5%
Female: 0.5%

INTP Population
Total: 2.5%
Male: 4%
Female: 1%

NF - Visionaries

ENFJ Population
Total: 4%
Male: 2.5%
Female: 5.5%

ENFP Population
Total: 7%
Male: 6%
Female: 8%

INFJ Population
Total: 1%
Male: 0.5%
Female: 1.5%

INFP Population
Total: 2%
Male: 1.5%
Female: 2.5%

And full list breakdown - http://www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/population-gender/.

Alternately, check here for the United States: http://www.capt.org/mbti-assessment/estimated-frequencies.htm.

I found some good data from the MBTI Manuel - A Guide to the Development and Use of the Myers-Briggs type indicator (third ed. 1988). From the data I created a nice little graphic that lets people see type information for types and subtypes for male, female, and combined. Data is a little dated by still pretty good for reference.
US Personality Types.png

This statistic is somewhat depressing. I wonder what the world would be like if there were more Infjs and just more NFs in general. Bet it would a much nicer place *sniffs*

Hmm, what brings you to that conclusion?

INFJs, my peeps...

Honestly, I know I can be critical sometimes but this time it's warranted. I think you're all very insensitive not to mention the huge tragedy that recently occurred. You're really not going to mention the fact that the overwhelming majority the ENFP population died of an excitement overdose, leaving Zoey Deschanel behind?

Shame on all of you.

Hmm, what brings you to that conclusion?

This is a super old necro-thread man...
Starry Night posted this in 2010...I haven’t seen her for quite some time.
She probably won’t answer you.
;)

This is a super old necro-thread man...
Starry Night posted this in 2010...I haven’t seen her for quite some time.
She probably won’t answer you.
;)

Lol, yeah I kind of figured as much after day two. I really need to get better about reading the dates on these things.

mmm, i only believe that these percentages estimations are meant to make us believe that if we are N we are special, but when i think it, the only traits i see people share in these forums are solitude, failure, mental damage and a different kinds of trauma in their upbringing. the more dysfunctional you are the more N you are as well. i kind of include myself in the pack as well. it's like the easy way out, escapism, stomping harder than a japanese 80's fusion vinyl.
I mean, given the mentioned bias and all the high IQ things related to being a N i would have to bring some harsh facts and life triumphs first to consider myself one of the holy. Instead i prefer to not think i'm that destroyed as a character and that has taken away a lot of pressure from off my shoulders. the feeling that you don't know things and you don't necessarily need to understand them is what the world needs for balance, i get it, we are in revolution times, but i suppose there will come the time for it. illiteracy shall prevail.
it's like watching a debate between sam harris and jordan peterson where everyone laughs and screams like in a comedy show or smth. i don't mean that you shouldn't watch them or scream like you are in a box ring, is just that it gets to a point where the fashion gets damn old.

at the very moment we think we are more wise than others just because we talk less by applying the mantra less is more, or because we listen the joe rogan show, we lost, we lost all touch with reality.

Guys, my universal translator appears to be broken. I keep getting this nasty bug: "Error: Coherence not found." Can anyone explain to me what the man above me just tried to say? :tongueclosed: