Approximate percentages of MBTI per population | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Approximate percentages of MBTI per population

What is makes someone gifted in this study?
Precise qualifications are not given, but the study was conducted by the Center for Talented Youth at John Hopkins University, which (the article claims) works with children from all over the country. I imagine the criteria for the study is the same as their criteria for their general program.

Edit:
It should be noted that I do not consider this to be an authoritative article, merely an interesting study. Multiple studies would lend themselves better to believability than just the group that was with them that year.

Also, for anyone interested in reading it (note: it also goes into MBTI spread for general teachers and exemplary teachers), I have included a citation (which is badly formatted). It has some very interesting other information.

Mills, Carol J. Characteristics of Effective Teachers of Gifted Students: Teacher Background and Personality Style of Students. Gifted Child Quarterly, Vol 47 No 4., John Hopkins University 2003.

Last edited:
What is makes someone gifted in this study?

They're likely going off the IQ definition of gifted, which I think is over 2 standard deviations from the average (so over 130). I am not sure though.

They're likely going off the IQ definition of gifted, which I think is over 2 standard deviations from the average (so over 130). I am not sure though.
According to the CTY's website, they take nominations of students who score in the 95th percentile and higher on standardized tests in "higher aptitude areas." I honestly think I'd prefer the IQ method, as much as I hate to say it.

Oh, right, what I wanted to point out. The four highest concentration MBTI types in the study were all NPs. Do you think that has anything to do with being labeled as "gifted"?

Oh, right, what I wanted to point out. The four highest concentration MBTI types in the study were all NPs. Do you think that has anything to do with being labeled as "gifted"?

That would boil down to the function Ne being "responsible" for this. It's the divergent function that considers everything it can, so it makes sense that it would be corralated with high intelligence.

That does make a lot of sense.

I think gifted in this case relates to the ability to go for longer periods of time without meaningful human contact and with that comes more time to devote to study. Also to be in an environment which rewards giftedness, especially considering that studying often has no tangible rewards to your support structure until the student is out of the nest.

@Above: In that case, I'd be very stupid :)

But you can't really mesure intelligence on its own, as there is so many kinds of it.
Is someone who'd get A+ in everything and who could solve hard problems quickly but who really sucks at social situations really more intelligent than its opposite?
=/

Is someone who'd get A+ in everything and who could solve hard problems quickly but who really sucks at social situations really more intelligent than its opposite?
=/

I agree.

We like to put down S types on the internet, but I don't believe there is any correlation between IQ and personality type. Challenge this if you will. I would love to see hard statistics proving me wrong.

I would love to see hard statistics regarding any aspect of MBTI types, most statistics always have some sort of bias and deficiency. Not to mention MBTI is still a theory in development. This is all in the end mostly theory.

It's no secret that NJs are better academically. Followed by NPs and SJs. With SP types like me and Royal coming last.

This has nothing to do with intelligence though and more to do with us spending much of our teenage years not giving a shit.

It's no secret that NJs are better academically. Followed by NPs and SJs. With SP types like me and Royal coming last.

This has nothing to do with intelligence though and more to do with us spending much of our teenage years not giving a shit.

SJ's perform quite well actually. They are known for being responsible. I see S as more concrete and realistic like Indy said therefore they might want to utilize their abilities more.

There is a slight pattern with all of this, but as you can see with that data the results are not a steep incline. Any type has the abillity to be very intelligent. One of the top people in my major right now (well biochem if you include it) is an ESTP, and she is a very hard worker and very intelligent. Of course, I am guessing at her type but I am fairly certain about it. I also have met a handful of INTP's over the years who did quite poorly in school, and really were not bright at all.

This is probably not very accurate. Empirically, there are far more INxJs out there than INTPs.

I've only ever met one INTP, whereas I've met a fair few Ni-doms. ENTPs are far more uncommon as well. (Or maybe it's just recognition bias, I don't know.)

This is probably not very accurate. Empirically, there are far more INxJs out there than INTPs.

I've only ever met one INTP, whereas I've met a fair few Ni-doms. ENTPs are far more uncommon as well. (Or maybe it's just recognition bias, I don't know.)

ENTP's aren't all that rare. I am not friends with many, but I know a number of them. Same with INTP's. I actually know quite a number of INTP's, but I am not friends with any of them (I don't mesh well with Ne and IxxP's). I really don't think one type is much more or less rare then another. Some are slightly more common then others. In the wash though, I think it's actually pretty even from what I have seen.

I think I find a lot of INTPs on the internet. IRL, most people I suspected to be INTP...fades into the background like I do. :|

And I would say, NFs tend to mistype or believes themselves to be another type. You know, the bias against Feelers... :| so it might affect a bit of the percentages.

ENTP's aren't all that rare. I am not friends with many, but I know a number of them. Same with INTP's. I actually know quite a number of INTP's, but I am not friends with any of them (I don't mesh well with Ne and IxxP's). I really don't think one type is much more or less rare then another. Some are slightly more common then others. In the wash though, I think it's actually pretty even from what I have seen.

Here's how I'd put types from most common to least:

ESFJ
ISFJ
ESTP
ESFP
ISTJ
ISFP
ESTJ
ENFJ
ENFP
INFP
INTJ
ISTP
INFJ
ENTP
INTP

Feel free to disagree.

Reactions: Saru Inc
I think gender, university majors, and job classifications can change the amounts we see, as well as where we choose to spend out time (and with whom).

There are probably more male INTJs and INTPs than female ones, but in the right setting you may see far more of them (science-oriented activities, certain movies/conventions, bookstores, libraries, etc). Not saying that's a definite, but stereotypically more introverts prefer more introverted activities and more extroverts prefer extroverted activities.

So if you're working retail or a call center, you'll probably find more extroverts. But if you work in a library or if you're a programmer, you may see an abundance of introverts. You'd have to visit a place that might be more common to all types to get an accurate reading of MBTI groups, but that may still be disproportionate.