MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    OCT

Can mood affect test scores?

Something I just realized today. I was in a really, really pissed off mood going to school today, on account of some stupid security guard, and some cops who blockaded the street I was going to park on. This made me late for my class, in which I had a test. I walked in in such a pissed off mood that I couldn't focus much on what I'd studied. I guess the adrenaline from feeling angry at the cops and the guard was still pumping in me, because I had a really hard time focusing. I ran out of time, and couldn't get 3 out of the 10 questions on it. I probably got a a high C or low B, where I really wanted and felt I deserved an A.
    Right after the test, when I was walking to my car, it all flooded back. I knew how to find the answers to the questions I'd missed, it was all in my head, I'd just drawn a blank during the test.

Has anyone had similar experience?

On a side note, does anyone have tips for testing under pressure? Aside from the whole anger thing, I also have trouble keeping my head when I know I only have so much time left.
    There are far, far better things ahead than anything we leave behind.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Arctic Circle and Connected Island Nations
    MBTI
    Meh
    Enneagram
    Meh
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    OCT
    Mood definitely can and does affect testing. It's one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of testing in the classroom because it captures such a small moment in a student's educational history, and is greatly affected by outside influences including (but not limited to) mood.
    Vive la two-headed rhino

bamf(awe-some) -n :the super mod with the super-bod.

~*Keeper of the Keys*~ Serenity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ/EII-Ne
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    OCT
    Mood is a mental/emotional state.

If you are in a less than ideal state of mind, i.e being overly stressed/nervous/anxious/etc, chances are that you wont perform as well on an examination as you normally would, despite how well you actually know the material.

Here are a few (probably obvious) tips to abate this:

-Stop studying within an hour of your exam: You know what you know at this point, so chances are if you don;t know it by then, you won't know it for the exam.
    -Get a good nights sleep, at least 7-8 hours. It's tempting to do an all-night cramming session, but you will feel like poop in the morning from lack of sleep, and even with caffeine, you won't be in the ideal state to score high on an exam.
    -While you are waiting for your exam, go on vacation...anywhere in your mind. Do this while taking very deep cleansing breaths. When you return, you will feel more focused and relaxed.
    -Be very in-tune with your learning style: note that it may different from your personality. If you study based on your learning style, you will feel more comfortable with the material, and have that "healthy" stress to perform well when that exam time comes around.
    I have sex daily.

I mean dyslexia. Yeah definitely dyslexia.

Please donate

My Johari
    ::My Nohari

MBTI
    Human
    Enneagram
    Human
    Threads
    OCT
    Certainly, mood can strongly affect performance. I've been so scatter-brained and silly during some tests that I'd look at them and be like "lolwut? test? nty, maybe later!" and there have been times I was sad that produced worse scores than when emotionally stable. Just my uneducated guess, but I figured emotions affect us so powerfully because they were our best companion in caveman times; our reasoning and intelligence is fairly new from what I understand, so the former tends to overrule the second.

Tips...hm. I make simple metaphors and strings of images for material.
    Figure out how you learn, and think, best and use it to your advantage.
    +1 for @Serenity 's list.
    "Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant."

Hope is an anytime wreath, hung as a noose for the naive and savored as a wine by the wise.

Y'all gon make me lose my mind Dragon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Threads
    OCT
    Yes, mood definitely affects test scores. In fact, I'd say it is one of the most significant determinants of your score on tests like the SAT. It tests how well you were able to take a test at that time on that day, not your test taking ability or even more laughably- your potential to succeed in college.

I.e. low blood sugar could slow your cognition and also make you more irritable or less focused. That is why it is so important to eat a good breakfast before the test.
    "It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Gone trekking with Bilbo Baggins pics's Avatar
    MBTI
    Let it go
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    OCT
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf View Post
    Mood definitely can and does affect testing. It's one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of testing in the classroom because it captures such a small moment in a student's educational history, and is greatly affected by outside influences including (but not limited to) mood.
    agree. Testing under pressure is not as efficient because you can do the opposite which is remember it all for the exam and then complete forget it once you finish. I think working under deadlines is not always best or most productive. The last test I took was an essay exam and we had 1 hour to do it. I studied a few hours before because the information would be fresh. And I didn't have anything stressful to handle that morning. So, being in a calm and relaxed state of mind helps.

What do you mean, I can change my Usertitle magister343's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    stupid system (5w4)
    Threads
    OCT
    I recall from my psychology class that it is easiest to remember things when in the same emotional state as when the memories were formed. Being pissed off during the test could have improved your performance, if you had been similarly pissed off while studying.

That is not the only influence moods has on memory though. In general, we remember better when we are sad but calm. Strong positive emotions significantly hinder the recall of things learned at less happy times of one's life.

Also, studies also indicate that practicing to remember a portion of a list of related items normally reduces our ability to remember those items not specifically studied, but not while experiencing negative moods.
    Economic Left/Right: 0.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38
    http://www.holisticpolitics.org/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    OCT
    Hey, that's right! I forgot all that stuff I learned from my psych classes. Most of the time, I find myself in sort of a calm, slightly melancholy state. Good insight.
    There are far, far better things ahead than anything we leave behind.

MBTI
    high school
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Threads
    OCT
    I think mood can strongly affect test scores if you're a high Fi user. Like INFPs would be so smart but they let so much get to them...

But my mood doesn't really affect my test scores. I get usually get into the right mindset once I have the paper in front of me.

Homework is another story. I don't put a lot of effort in on a 5 point assignment if I'm in a bad mood.
    Thanks.